grace, Spirit-led living, YouTube

My Plans for 2015—and How God Flipped Them {Plus a Video}

December 30, 2015

Plans for 2015I’ve never been big on making New Year’s resolutions. But as I think back to the beginning of 2015, I did have a few plans in mind. The first thing I thought to do was to shut down my YouTube channel. It had been a while since I’d done a video, and I was in a “less is more” mode with respect to social media.

But sometime in January, someone asked if I’d done a video on how I study the Bible. I thought that was kind of odd. “No,” I said. “Haven’t done one.”

“Would you consider doing one?”

“Actually, I doubt it,” I said, “since I’m thinking about shutting down my channel.” Also, I wasn’t sure what tips I’d give in such a video. So, um, no.

A couple of weeks later, another person asked the same question. Okay, Lord, what are you saying? I was soon recording the video, then another on how I memorize books of the Bible, then another . . . My plan for YouTube was superseded by God’s plan.

Also at the start of the year, I had a writing plan. My fiction contract with Thomas Nelson hadn’t been renewed, and a fiction proposal hadn’t gotten picked up by any other publishers. So I’d write a novel and publish it myself. I was excited about this, about being my own publisher, controlling the content and the process.

Then in March, my agent emailed me. He’d seen the YouTube videos I had recently put out. He felt my voice was stronger for writing nonfiction than fiction. Would I consider working on a nonfiction proposal for him to send out?

Uh, no. That was my first thought. True, my heart had always been to write nonfiction. Fiction was the surprise. But I’d just gone through the process of having a proposal reviewed and rejected. No, thank you. I’m good in my fiction self-publishing lane, the one I can control.

But how could I not pray about it? I did, and soon, an idea for a nonfiction book was on my heart, and words to a proposal. I had to write it, and I had to have faith that God was at work. After all, He was the one who had moved me to do the YouTube videos, which moved my agent to email me.

After several months of waiting, I received a contract from Discovery House Publishers, and I’m beyond excited to partner with them as I write a book slated to release in 2017. My writing plan was superseded by God’s plan.

And then there was this blog. I had big plans for blogging regularly, even took an online blog course in the spring so I’d be motivated to step it up. I did blog throughout this year, but nowhere near what I’d envisioned. Instead, in early summer, I was asked to write for Desiring God. I’m giving more time and attention to writing posts—on a different blog. My blog plan was superseded by God’s plan.

And who could have imagined Periscope?

As we close out 2015 and look to 2016, this verse is on my heart:

“The mind of man plans his way,

But the Lord directs his steps.” Proverbs 16:9

What a blessing, that our God will lead and direct us in His will—even despite our plans and inclinations to go a different way.  What are you planning?  Will you allow God to direct, and even re-direct you, if need be?

Something else has been on my heart as we close out the year. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a New Year’s resolution. But I have a resolve to do this one thing. Once you watch the video, I’d love to hear whether you share my resolve.

Wishing you every special blessing as the Lord directs your steps in 2016!

Happy New Year!

• Reply Trisa December 31, 2015 at 3:27 am

This week I was dealing with some sickness and a bout of baby blues. I grabbed my Bible and went to your a YouTube channel. I am so glad you kept it up!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate December 31, 2015 at 9:12 am

Oh, wow, Trisa, I’m amazed by that. God is so faithful. I praise Him that the channel is an encouragement to you. That truly blesses me. Thank you so much for sharing that. Happy New Year to you!

• Reply Susan M December 31, 2015 at 5:34 am

I for one am so glad you did not end up closing down your YouTube channel this year–for I have been very blessed by the videos I have seen! Thank you!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate December 31, 2015 at 9:14 am

Susan, that is such an encouragement to me, and I’m so thankful! To God be the Glory. HIs ways amaze me. :) Happy New Year to you!

• Reply Donelda December 31, 2015 at 10:06 am

This is such a powerful truth, and all I can add is Amen! Your ministry has truly blessed my life in 2015. There have been a number of times when I’ve had something going on in my life or thoughts and, your blog or video that morning has spoken directly to my heart on that specific issue. I am often amazed by how God does that. He is so faithful to use a yielded heart for the important work of building His kingdom and strengthening his people. I have no doubt, and am so grateful that you will allow Him to continue to direct your path in 2016, and beyond. I am excited to see what He will do next in your life. All the best to you and your family next year. God Bless!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 3, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Donelda, your comment truly blesses me. I am amazed as well at God’s faithfulness. It encourages us to step out and do whatever He has put on our hearts to do because it’s meant to speak to someone (even though we have no idea how or why :)). Thank you so much for your sweet encouragement! Happy New Year & Blessings to you and your family in 2016!

• Reply Heather December 31, 2015 at 10:18 am

I love this post, Kim. It’s great to hear how you had plans, which you adjusted in light of what you felt God was calling you to do. And I’m SO very excited for your new non-fiction book deal. Yay! Congratulations.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 3, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Heather, I’m so thankful the Lord is patient with our course corrections. :) And I’m always so thankful for your encouragement. I am SO very excited for what’s ahead on *your* writing journey! Please keep me posted!! Happy New Year, my sister!

• Reply Tamara D. Davis December 31, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Happy New Year! Thank you for that post. Around our church, the phrase “whatever He says to do, DO IT!” is how we roll! Sometimes obedience hurts but the end result is well worth it.

I asked the Lord to give me some goals for 2016 because I know if “I” set them, they are liable to fall by the wayside. LOL He’s given me one fun goal and I am excited about it. Sometimes, I hide behind being “plain”. I use it as a defense mechanism because of fear. The Lord called me out on it back in May of this year and told me to stop it. His words were “stop being afraid to be beautiful.” He went on to say “The same time and effort you put into mental and emotional healing is the same effort I want you to put in your outer appearance.” I finally got the memo and realized He was serious about it (for me). That is a fun goal for sure!!!!!!!

Like you said, our obedience is not just about us. Thank you Kim!

• Reply Danielle January 1, 2016 at 9:43 am

Hey Tam! I love this!!!!!!! :) I know how beautiful you are inside, and how beautiful you already are on the outside, so this is an awesome goal from God. Go get your swag on ;)

Love ya!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 3, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Happy New Year, Tamara! Wow, a fun goal, indeed! Love it! The Lord will truly call us out of all the things we hide behind. Sometimes we don’t even realize we’re hiding, but boy, when He shines that spotlight…. What joy it will be to go on your “beautiful” journey. The awesome thing is that you’ve been putting your efforts into beautifying the inside, which is “the main thing.” Now you get to glam it up on the outside as well! I’ll be looking for your FB photos on this journey. :D

• Reply Danielle January 1, 2016 at 10:02 am

Happy New Year, everyone! Ok, Kim, can you say “convicted”? Did you record this after we talked the other night? LOL

Yes, I am sharing in your resolve to obey AND to let God direct my steps, and I wholeheartedly agree with Tamara and her church’s go-to phrase: ““whatever He says to do, DO IT!” is how we roll! Sometimes obedience hurts but the end result is well worth it.”

Yes, obedience HURTS but I am recommitting myself to waiting on God and trying to hear his voice and seeing what 2016 has in store! :)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Happy New Year, Danielle! Ha!…..I did record it after we talked but there was no correlation in mind! LOL So true….obedience hurts sometimes and is not at all easy. We have to often give up our own desires, our own will, our own plans…. Sometimes I think to myself, “Okay, this (obedience) is hard, but would I rather be over there, outside of God’s will.” That sobers me up quickly. There is nothing like being right where you need to be, with all the blessings that come with that sweet spot. :) As you said, waiting is often a part of the equation. But what a blessing that we can count on God’s faithfulness throughout it all. I KNOW you will see His faithfulness toward you in 2016, Danielle. He can’t NOT be faithful. And He loves you fiercely. :)

• Reply Iris January 1, 2016 at 11:04 am

Thank you so much for sharing this, Kim. I am very thankful that you have not shut down your YouTube channel. It is a blessing to me, and I know to many others.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 3, 2016 at 2:35 pm

That warms my heart, Iris, and I am so thankful! So appreciate your constant encouragement, my sister. Happy New Year & Blessings to you in 2016!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) January 3, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Hello my Sister and fellow blog sisters! It seems like FOREVER since I’ve been here. Frankly, I don’t know where the time has gone or why that is. I’ve missed you all! I’ve miss you Kim!!!

What a wonderful post. I LOVE the written part. How crucial it is that we be open to God setting the direction, the agenda, the plans and purposes of our minutes, hours, days, and life. There is such relief and freedom in that. He will never make a mistake and His plans are SO worth it. We live in a world that is pushing a message of self-direction and controlling our lives and plans — our dreams become God’s dreams and in fact the focus — after all, if we have a dream, God must have given it to us. Right? (I am being a bit sarcastic. Sorry.) The reality is that God may or may not have given us the “dream”, the “goal”, but if He has, He will take care of it coming to fruition and the plan He has for seeing it do so, as we PRAYERFULLY take step, by step, by step and as we hold the dream, goal, plan and hope with an open hand. If He is not the author of it, then it is a VERY GOOD THING if it doesn’t come to realization.

And your video, well….Amen! You know, I have to keep learning that God’s direction — His call to obedience and to walk according to His ways and plans is ALWAYS for GOOD and leads to TRUE abundance as you’ve emphasized. God is good and His ways are good. And He loves us beyond our understanding!

Bless you Kim in this new year. You KNOW I’m praying for you as you put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) in writing the new book. May God’s wisdom flow through you onto those pages. Praying for your protection and building up, for joy and wonder and an ever growing, deepening sense of Him. XXOO

• Reply Tamara D. Davis January 4, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Heeellllooooooooo Debbie! So good to see you here!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) January 6, 2016 at 2:23 am

You too, Tamara!!!

• Reply Danielle January 4, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Hey Debbie! Missed you and your wisdom – so good to “see” you! :) Happy New Year and blessings to you!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) January 6, 2016 at 2:23 am

Thank you, Danielle!! You too!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 7, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Hello and Happy New Year, Debbie! It DOES seem like FOREVER since you’ve been here! :D You know you’ve been missed. :) This SO struck me…I read it twice–> “We live in a world that is pushing a message of self-direction and controlling our lives and plans — our dreams become God’s dreams and in fact the focus — after all, if we have a dream, God must have given it to us.” I was trying to find just a piece of it to cut and paste but it was all so good! I am nodding my head!!! On social media especially, I see so much about following one’s dreams (among Christians), and yes, it’s as if our dreams are God’s dreams. And then the world seems to revolve around this DREAM! Don’t get me started…. We’ll even put pursuit of the dream ahead of things we KNOW God has called us to, like the care and raising of our children. *sigh* The enemy deceives in so many ways. And as you said, even if the dream, goal, etc is from God, we have to be careful to hold it “with an open hand.” He will SURELY bring it to pass if it’s His will. That is such a comfort. We can rest in that. “God is good and His ways are good”…..what a truth to hold to!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers! The Lord actually let me know that I need a prayer team for writing just as I had when I was speaking. THEN He reminded me that there are people already praying for me….I just need to keep them updated! I can’t thank you enough, truly, for lifting me up. I don’t take it lightly. XOXO

• Reply M. Simone Boyd January 8, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Just Wow! What a gift to witness how God realigned your plans?! I think a YouTube video someone shared on Twitter is how I came across your blog…

Regarding goal setting, I am an avid AVID goal setter, but last year I didn’t set a big resolution. I just went before God each (well…most) months and asked Him, what He wanted me to focus on. Sometimes it was WordPress (Arghhhh!), and sometimes it was writing. The process was sometimes painful, because it wasn’t what I thought I SHOULD be doing. And it felt like I was wasting time.

But when I look back at 2015, it was an incredibly fruitful year and I know it because of obedience and just listening to His voice.

Thanks for this reminder! Because I’ve been thinking about goals for 2016 and have to tried to write them several times and have been feeling stuck.

But maybe He just want me to let Him do the planning. Now there’s a thought?!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 19, 2016 at 9:27 am

Hey Simone! I had no idea you came across my blog through a YouTube video. :) This so resonates with me –> “…it wasn’t what I thought I SHOULD be doing. And it felt like I was wasting time”….so often happens! I have my own ideas of what productivity should look like (often in the form of cranking out a book), but when God has me doing other things, I’m like….really?? lol And yet, as you said, when you look back, it’s fruitful because it was all GOD. And when you’re following the lead of the Spirit, you will bear fruit. So YES, just leet Him do the planning this year too! :D Blessings to you in 2016, sis!

• Reply Virginia January 19, 2016 at 9:57 am

Kim, i just recently found your youtube channels and they really speak encouragement to this weary encourager. I havent watched them all yet but so far i really like them. I dont know what periscope is but will check it out. So please leave the youtube videos up – they are great. They really speak to my soul. Much love to you Sister. May you always hear God’s direction and move to bring Him glory! Upward !
    Virginia

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 19, 2016 at 10:21 am

Virginia, this blesses me so much! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share such encouragement. I praise God that He has used the videos to speak to your soul….that amazes me. Thank you again and blessings to you!

• Reply Tiffiny January 31, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hello, thank you for this post.. Although we are already in this new year, I am just reading this.. And it was just for me.. I want to be obedient and not confused or lazy when it comes to doing what I need to do for God. As I watched your video, I took it as a plea.. That its time to get it right.. Tiffiny!! (Telling myself this).. My time is not my own but it is Gods.. And I need to open my bible more and journal more.. I love God.. But things happen in life that will devastate you… (I have loss two children and am being restored from adultry in my marriage)… But with out going on thank you for your obedience.. U are helping many.. God bless you and keep carrying the touch for the gospel
    Of Jesus Christ .. Thanx.. tiffiny

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 31, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Oh, Tiffiny, I am so sorry to hear of the devastating loss of your children and also dealing with such a trial in your marriage. That is beyond heartbreaking! It can behard to press in with the Lord when you’re dealing with such grief and loss. I praise God for stirring you heart to spend more time in the Bible, and thinking about your walk of obedience. That’s such a blessing! I pray God’s continued healing and rich blessing upon you.

• Reply Charli January 31, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Hi Kim, your post brought tears to my eyes. A girl at work introduced me to John piper and then through reading desiring God i came across your blog and YouTube channel. I have been so encouraged by what I have read. I’ve started memorising Ephesians and following a read your bible in a year program. I’ve been a Christian for decades,but failed to do this before. I praise God for flipping around your plans in 2015, because in doing that He has touched my heart, drawing me closer to Him. Regarding obedience I told my daughter that I was not going to say a a bad word about anyone this year and beyond as was my terrible habit. She was actually put out by this as she enjoyed hearing my complaints which is all the more reason to stop. I have failed too many times to count already, but I feel that this is something I need to focus on in obedience to my God who detests this. Thank you for reminding me of the importance of this resolve. May The Holy Spirit help me.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 31, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Charli, wow….I had no idea you were led here from reading desiring God! What a blessing to hear. So thankful to God. And I love that you have an obedience plan for this year and beyond. :) We have all fallen short. But God’s grace is there to move us higher and higher. What a witness it will be to your daughter as she sees you change in this regard, before her very eyes. You will be a walking testimony, glory to God! Thank you so much for sharing this. Love hearing how God is working in your life!