grace, killing sin, temptation, YouTube

How to Kill Jealousy

November 12, 2015

File Nov 12, 9 33 48 PM

It’s a subject we don’t often talk about, let alone confess. But “jealousy” is the theme this week in our Periscope group—#PeriSistersinChrist—which means it’s also been the subject of my morning #devoscope . . . and I’ve been blessed and blown away by what the women have shared on the subject. We’ve explored the multitude of ways jealousy rears its ugly head, and what needs to happen when it does.

We need to kill it.

It’s hard to escape at least the temptation toward jealousy. As we deal with that ongoing battle of flesh versus Spirit (Galatians 5:17), I pray you find this video helpful.

P.S. To join the live broadcast in the morning, you can tune in at 9 am CST; 10 am EST here: https://www.periscope.tv/kimcashtate. To interact on the broadcast, you can download the Periscope app, follow me @kimcashtate, and watch/comment from your phone. The replay of all #devoscopes can be found here.

• Reply Charli November 16, 2015 at 6:45 am

Thank you Kim for this. The past few days I’ve been so down due to a family member putting me down, but deep down I know that I am jealous of her and angry that she can treat me as she does and still be blessed. I watched your video and then repented of my jealousy. God showed me that He is my God and so full of grace and that I should rejoice when I see God showing grace to his children despite their sin. God knows I need so much of His grace. I feel like the sadness has lifted since I repented and talked it through with God. My joy has returned so I will continue to repent and ask for strength and guard my heart. Thank you again for your instruction. It’s exactly what I needed.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 29, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Charli, first, I am so sorry for the delay. I can’t believe it’s been two weeks since you posted this. I knew life was crazy, but now I’m seeing how crazy. ;-) And wow, I am blown away by your post. So thankful for God’s grace and mercy and faithfulness. What a blessing that you were able to look past what was happening on the surface and see that jealousy was playing a part. It’s such a sneaky thing, isn’t it? We truly do need so much of His grace, and I’m thankful that He gives it lavishly. Praise God for your heart to repent and talk it through with the Lord. It truly does wonders. Praying God’s blessings upon you and for a deep peace between you and your family member. Thank you so much for sharing this.

• Reply Staci November 16, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Thank you for the video and information. I have disowned my mother’s sister because she’s mean and jealous towards me, my sister and my mom. My grandmother gave my mom’s sister and her daughter Power of Attorney instead of my mom. She ignores our calls and doesn’t allow us to spend time with my grandmother (who lives w/her). A police had to go and tell us how she was doing, he suggested we go to the courts to file visitation. This is disheartening because my grandmother knows what my mom sister is doing to us but she won’t speak up.

Sincerely,
    Staci

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 29, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Staci, I am so sorry to hear about your family situation. The pain truly runs deep in situations like this. Saying a prayer right now for you and your family.

• Reply Tamara D. Davis November 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm

This right here….this right here….THIS RIGHT HERE>> “jealousy is a liar.” What a video! I’ve been here, as you know, and when I was there, it was about the very topic you mentioned: marriage. Because I could not identify it and did not take it to God, jealousy turned into envy. I was so caught off guard because I was never the type to be jealous of anyone. It almost ruined my friendship with my beautiful sister in the Lord. We are great now!

Another sister friend of mine is about to be married. This time, I was on guard. I was NOT going to let the enemy sneak in and destroy another friendship. Something interesting happened though. I was starting to feel sorry for myself but I didn’t want to ruin her new happiness because I knew her former pain. The Holy Spirit spoke to HER and she asked me how did I really feel about her talking about her new love. I admitted it and then she only told me things as lead. Over time, my heart healed and grew stronger. Now, we talk about anything! :)

I now realize that jealousy is a temptation. Whooooo! That’s powerful! Thank you again Kim.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Tamara, I do remember when you were very transparent about having struggled with this! (And by the way, soooo late replying to comments….forgive me :)) And so interesting that you said THIS–> “Because I could not identify it and did not take it to God….” That is so key, isn’t it?? Jealousy is a liar and it’s also sneaky. It lurks beneath so many of our feelings and can be hard to pinpoint. Praise God that you DID spot it the next time. And what a praise that the Holy Spirit spoke to her about talking about it….I love it! That’s how a mature friendship should be handled, on both of your parts. The Lord truly does heal. So thankful to you for sharing these very real feelings, and how to work it out in a way that glorifies God.

• Reply alli November 26, 2015 at 1:28 am

that was the first time i heard jealousy described as hating on the ‘good’ God seeks to do in anothers life. Wow. When it is put like that it is a hideous thing, who wants to hate when God blesses someone or is generally good to them. thats pretty ugly. but i am struggling with jealous but not because of the good but because sometimes God rewards thee wicked. I would say its envy more than jealousy jealous is i want what you have. envy is like i dont want you to have what you have. or vice versa, i get jealous when God decides to give ppl easy lives, and i know ppl say that you don’t know what goes on behind doors, the fact is that God does give people a high or ‘better’ portion in life while others suffer. so i guess im battling with Gods portion for my life and it hurts when He seems to ‘favor’ others. I surely don’t feel favored, but thanks for this video it really helps me to get to the root.

• Reply alli November 26, 2015 at 1:31 am

when i see Him doing good things in others lives that I know He doesnt or wont do in my life i get jealous. I am working on this especially with those who have much more than me.

• Reply alli November 26, 2015 at 1:42 am

i needed to see this, im struggling with a situation im not content, this video has brought me to tears bc i am very unsatisfied w God’s portion for me. I dont know if its Gods portion but what the devil took. If you have a broken home and look at those who have fathers how can you deal w the envy. I generally am happy w my portion but bc of mistakes by others i feel like Im not blessed or getting what i need. Like God truly loves certain women more, i mean how can you recoincile this when God allows you to suffer and others He blesses abundantly. God keeps bringing a certain women in my life who takes from me and im really struggling, im like you have EVERYTHING already why do you need my stuff. its hard God is working on me because it continues to come up

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 29, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Sis, I so appreciate your honesty because these are very real feelings that many have. I know you know that it’s a real trap we fall into when we are comparing our situation to another’s and falling deeper into discontentment. You said it yourself in the above comment–> “i know ppl say that you don’t know what goes on behind doors, the fact is that God does give people a high or ‘better’ portion in life while others suffer. …” No one is exempt from suffering. We all have trials and tribulations that we are dealing with, though most have no idea. Outward blessings only tell one side of the story. I would encourage you to truly seek the Lord in the area of contentment and peace and in trusting that He is good and faithful. He wants you to rest in His goodness.

• Reply Tamara D. Davis November 30, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Hi Alli! I concur with Kim about seeking the Lord with contentment. The DEVIL comes to steal, kill and destroy. God came so that we could have and enjoy life. I have found that God and the Holy Spirit are the best therapists a person could have. My home was broken in more ways than one but when I got a hold to Psalms 27:10, it changed everything. He IS my father and I ALLOW Him to father me. I continually say out loud “He is my more than enough.” Hearing those words in my ears does wonders! Speak over your own life Alli! Your quality of life is in your mouth. Ask me how I know…

• Reply Rochelle December 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Kim,

It’s been far, far too long since I’ve read your blog and it feels like coming home to a toasty fireplace and warm cup of cocoa. And with this, my first read in a while, I see why I am “sitting” here with you. God is a wonder.

I have a problem with jealousy and insecurity. It has hindered several of my close, sisterhood relationships and I prayed just last week for God to deliver me from this scourge. I yearn to be free and stand on the blessings He has bestowed and the person He made me to be. It is so hard.

This devotional is the exact message I needed to hear, a play-by-play game plan, so very practical. My soul jumped in delight as I read the steps and thought of God’s faithfulness in answering prayer. I learned so much: jealousy as making war on the good God is doing. Wow! Asking God to reveal WHY I feel this way, getting at that root so it won’t return. And knowing when it’s time to create some distance (in love) while God is working on me. I struggled with this last one, as I always felt I had to be the good Christian soldier who sticks it out in love no matter what. Such a revelation.

Thank you for this very helpful and timely word, and for your obedience to what God lays on your heart.

Also, I would love to know what sources you use for your studies and what you recommend in terms of commentaries, bible version, or other supplementary materials. Thanks so much!

~ Rochelle