prayer, YouTube

How to Soldier Your Heart & Mind

August 25, 2015

Soldier themeLast week on Periscope my morning devotions centered on this theme:

S O L D I E R

Focusing all week on what it means to soldier well for the Lord blessed and sharpened me. Words like “watch” and “guard” in the Bible took on sharper meaning, pointing to the mission. Prayers were stirred as I thought about the host of demons arrayed against us, and family and friends held captive still. Praise was ignited as I dwelled on how the Lord fights for us. And strength was renewed as words in Nehemiah exhorted me to keep a soldier fight in my spirit.

What struck me throughout was that much of our soldier duty involves the heart and mind. That’s where battles are waged, where guard duty is crucial. This week’s video is on that topic. My prayer is that we be steadfast and vigilant, glorifying our Lord as we soldier well the various circumstances we face.

By the way, if you would like to catch the replays of any of the morning devotions, they can be found here: http://katch.me/kimcashtate

• Reply Tamara D. Davis August 26, 2015 at 7:34 am

Good morning! I haven’t watched the video yet but you know I’ll watch it later. :) The heart and mind (you can add emotions too) is that soulish realm that tries to stir up all kinds of stuff. The battle is waged there just like you said in the post. I was reading the part of scripture that speaks of the whole armor of God. I noticed the helmet of salvation. Helmets tend to be of a hard substance. We HAVE to guard our minds. Casting down thoughts??? Yes, it’s a much needed device in the battle plan!

• Reply M. Simone Boyd August 26, 2015 at 9:04 am

Amen to that, Tamara! Amen to that. As I watched the video, I was thinking about how much more I feed my soul versus how we much I feed my spirit. Like Kim said, we have to be on guard with what we watch and listen to…because it opens doors to our minds.

That’s why we need that hard helmet:-).

On the other hand, I was convicted because I feel like I don’t spend enough time feeding my spirit during the day. i.e. praying through out the day and not just in the morning.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate August 26, 2015 at 9:59 am

Simone I love this–> “I was thinking about how much more I feed my soul versus how we much I feed my spirit”….amen, such an important distinction! It’s so easy for “stuff” to get into our souls, even from commercials and other things we’re not actively intending to feed ourselves. Feeding our spirits throughout the day goes a long way to countering that stuff. And oh, yes, praying is huge. Think of it as having a running dialogue with the Lord all day. I’m always talking to Him about this and that, even while in conversation with others (asking for wisdom, etc). That constant fellowship is an ongoing guard for your heart.

• Reply Tamara D. Davis August 26, 2015 at 11:16 am

What Kim said is vital! It’s a lifestyle. Think about it like this–you feed your physical body several times a day, so why not feed your spirit several times a day! Your body can’t go weeks, days without eating and truthfully, your spirit can’t either. I had to learn this and like Kim said, I am also learning to remain in constant DIAlogue (not monologue) with God (me doing all the talking). I am learning to pray, listen, seek, and wait. It’s a part of the maturation process. Being in fellowship with God as much as I can is life giving and refreshing.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate August 26, 2015 at 9:52 am

Good Morning Tamara! YES, all kinds of stuff gets stirred up there! Guarding our minds is a MUST. If we stay on post in that one area, we will eliminate many a problem. But we know it’s nowhere near easy. Lord, help us! I love the victory in those moments where you cast down a thought and feel an absolute freedom.

• Reply Tamara D. Davis August 26, 2015 at 11:19 am

Some people think I am talking to myself because I cast thoughts down by SAYING the appropriate scripture to counter the thought from the enemy. I am determined to be victorious in/over my mind. #staysoldieredup :)