grace, Spirit-led living, YouTube

How to Push Past Your Moods

June 17, 2015

How to Push Past Your Moods (2)I found myself in a funk yesterday. It was one of those days in which you get out of bed tired because of interrupted sleep. And all day your agenda is interrupted, so you can’t do the things you’d planned. And in the bit of agenda-time you get, your computer freezes, and freezes. And you’re reminded of everything else that isn’t working right now . . . in all of life.

And you need a nap.

(Ever notice that when you’re already irritated, you’re easily irritated?)

And sometime in the evening I remembered I’d done a video two days before and needed to do a blog post on pushing past your moods. I had to laugh at how timely it was. When I write it down like this, it sounds silly and whiny, yet in the moment, it’s so real . . . like a cloud that descends and hovers, growing bigger by the moment.

But the last thing I want is to be controlled by a mood. I don’t even like myself when I’m in a mood, and certainly don’t like the way it effects the people around me, the work that needs to get done, and my day as a whole.

As believers, we don’t have to be controlled by our fluctuating moods.  [note: this post does not pertain to moods that result from clinical depression and the like; it’s about moods brought on by situations, circumstances, etc.]  We shouldn’t be quick to say, “I’m just a moody person,” not when we serve a living God. I’m thankful that He doesn’t abandon us to the whims of our moods. I’m thankful that “His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness” (2 Peter 1:3)—and that His divine power is well able to lift us from a funk. By His grace, we can push past it, and even glorify Him in the midst.

I apparently needed this video myself ;-)… and I pray it helps someone else as well. I’d love to hear from you on the blog—how do you push past your moods?

• Reply Susan M June 17, 2015 at 6:08 am

Thank you for this VERY timely reminder! How did you know? You must have been following me as I ran my errands yesterday in the 95 degree heat and grumbling by the minute!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate June 17, 2015 at 10:21 am

Haha! I know how that is! That grumbling just takes off, doesn’t it? :) So good to see you, Susan!

• Reply Latosha June 17, 2015 at 8:13 am

This is a timely message. Praise God!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate June 17, 2015 at 10:22 am

Praising God that it’s timely for you, Latosha! And so thankful you stopped by!

• Reply Tamara D. Davis June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Hello!!!! Can I say that I am really digging the new intro??

Talking to myself–yes, happens quite frequently! Psalms 62 is a good one that I like. When I take my walks on my lunch break, I talk to myself and end up getting to a place of some serious encouragement. The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, yup—works every time!

Thank you for such a timely reminder about being moody. Around my church we call that the crazy chick and dizzy dude. When they come out, we got to put them back in check. The word, prayer and praise will do the trick every time.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate June 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Hello Tamara! I’m so glad you like the new intro!!! :D

I love that you take purposeful walks on your lunch breaks! That’s a good way to get your mind right in the middle of the day. We really do have to learn to encourage ourselves. And you especially! It would be terrible if you were such a great encourager of others, but didn’t encourage yourself. lol The crazy chick and dizzy dude….that about sums it up! :) They definitely have to be put back in check. Thank You, Lord, for giving us grace to do so!

• Reply Tamara D. Davis June 19, 2015 at 7:10 am

I’ve recently resumed walking on my lunch breaks and I tell you, the quietness of it is great. Yesterday, I listened to the word as I walked! Refreshing….purely refreshing!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) June 22, 2015 at 7:42 am

Kim,

Is this good or is this good!!! This is GOOOOD!! Awesome, in fact. You have shared practical wisdom and truth here, for all our moods. Kim, what you have shared is so beneficial regardless of the why of our moods and it points us back to the one who is our healer, our counselor, our ever present, more than present present help in trouble. (You said “[note: this post does not pertain to moods that result from clinical depression and the like; it’s about moods brought on by situations, circumstances, etc.]” But I must say that, while we may suffer from moods resulting from medical/chemical conditions etc. and may need appropriate intervention for that, what you have shared here is still applicable and immensely helpful. Our God is an ever present help even in these situations and applying what you have shared here is going to be a significant and important help in the healing process. It is also a way of walking by faith and in HOPE while dealing with the medical issues that may be at work in our “moods”.)

This has been wonderful. Simple and deep and oh so helpful. And now, the challange for me…APPLY IT. Now. Or at any point where I recognize I am bowing to my mood. :)

Hugs!

I just want to add something that I hope will be an encouragement to some…what you have shared here is also for those who are dealing with clinical depression and moods that stem from medical issues.

I want to add that yes, there are times we need to seek medical advice for our moods but even in these times — just like all matters of health and well being — seeking God, His wisdom and His hand in our healing is crucial. And the points you have made here need to also be applied in those instances as well. Even when there are medical issues that contribute to our moods we do not have to be victims of them but can choose, in the midst of the darkest and most difficult, to turn to God. He WILL see us through the fire and the flood and we need to heed His word over the lies that the enemy (world, flesh and satan) whisper to us through our moods. It is THEN we need to stand by faith — and what a challenge that is when your brain, hormones, chemicals are screaming something else — because God and His truth is not altered by our moods. He is always faithful, working to our good and for our good and He is present — ever present, more than present present — even in the darkest of places…regardless of the source.

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) June 22, 2015 at 7:48 am

Grrr….I sound like I’m repeating myself here…I had gone back and edited what I wrote…thinking I’d deleted my “first thoughts”…and I hadn’t. So I apologize. And I also realize your post was focused on helping us deal with our everyday, I want to smack someone, or feel sorry for myself, or have a “right” to be angry type moods…so I didn’t mean to get off track on the clinical depression etc. track. My intention was just to affirm how helpful I think your points were for anyone dealing with difficult moods. Sorry for that.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate June 24, 2015 at 9:36 am

You had different things in both posts so it was all good! :) And I love the track you took up. It encouraged me to know that you thought the tips could apply across the board. Your nuggets are ALWAYS greatly appreciated. :D

• Reply Kim Cash Tate June 24, 2015 at 9:32 am

Debbie, I am so thankful that you feel these tips apply no matter the cause of our moods. Truly as you say, the Lord is our healer, counsel, and ever present help….amen! I didn’t want to make light of clinical depression, etc. because I know people who battle that (people who know the Lord), and they’ve described how dark and heavy those times are. But I love this….”God and His truth is not altered by our moods”….ain’t that the truth! He is our awesome God who is greater than any-anything. Everything, no matter what we are dealing with, should start and end with Him…..and all the in-between too!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) June 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Kim, I know what you are saying here. I remember a time when I was in a very dark place and we were in a sunday school (adult) class talking about something or other (I can’t remember if I was teaching the class or not — but I don’t think so, I seem to remember being one of those sitting in the desks) — we ended up discussing depression and the Pastor (who was in the class) said “Well, when I have a bad day or my moods not that great, I get up and take a walk.” I said to him, “When you suffer from depression or are in a dark place (for whatever reason) you aren’t having a bad day — you’re having a bad life.” That’s the way it “FEELS” and it is HARD. When the dark monster crouches at your door or lives in your living room…for any amount of time. But I say again — what you have shared here does not in any way make light of or diminish the struggle of those with deep struggles in this area. God’s truth is so needed in managing even the worst of our emotional and mental problems regardless of the origin…and you cannot separate the spiritual from them. Bless you! (And now because it seems I’m like days behind you, I’m off to enjoy another of your posts…tatafornow!!!)

• Reply Heather Adams June 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Oh, Kim, these are such good suggestions. Thank you.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate June 24, 2015 at 9:36 am

So thankful for your feedback, Heather!