Christian living, YouTube

How to Know Your Calling

May 12, 2015

How to Know Your CallingIt’s the cry of our hearts. We want to know our calling. What has God put us on earth to do?

First, as believers, we should all be assured that we have a calling. There is not a single one of us for whom God does not have a plan and a purpose. This verse should be emblazoned on our hearts and minds:

“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10

When we believe and are born again, we are re-created in Christ. As new creations, we have a new mission—to glorify God through good works. Those good works are already planned. Is that not awesome? We are not charged with coming up with our own good works. We simply walk in what God has pre-ordained.

The problem, though, is that we may not know what those good works are. We are not given a personalized manual when we come to faith, with a rundown of everything God planned for us to do as we run this race. And if we do have a sense of a particular calling from God, we may be frustrated because nothing is happening. We’ve prayed toward it. Maybe even put feet of faith toward it. But we are not seeing fruit. Now we’re confused . . . is this my calling? What does God want me to do?

But the issue may be our tendency to view calling in a highly individualized sense. That’s the nature of the times in which we live. We each pursue our own goals, our own education, our own careers, even our own ministries. We’re each carving out our own piece of the pie. So it makes sense to us to pursue our own callings—those unique works that God planned for us.

And yet, our calling is so much broader than that. As believers, we are all called to certain good works. And we need not wonder what they are, because God has graciously made them clear in His Word. For example, if we are women who are married and raising a family, we have a Titus 2:4-5 calling in common: “to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.”

If we place our focus on the things we know we are called to do, we can have absolute certainty that the Lord will lead us with respect to the individual plans He has for us. They are His plans. He wants to establish them. We have to trust that in His time, He will give us clarity there too. We have to trust that we can hear from God. And we have to trust that once we gain clarity He will give us everything we need to move forward.

In this week’s video, I’m sharing a few things that we are all called to do. Just going through the list myself, I thought, “Wow, am I doing these things?” So thankful that the Lord gives us grace!

Do you feel you know at least some of the things God has uniquely called you to do?

• Reply Susan M May 13, 2015 at 6:26 am

WOW!!! Thank you SO much for this video–such a blessing I have received and a fantastic way to start out my day! You have enough packed into a five minute video for me to meditate on the entire rest of the day! Thank you for being a blessing to me–and I am sure to many others as well!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hi Susan! This blesses me so much! I am so thankful to God that you were blessed by the video and even felt you could meditate on it during the day. I am greatly encouraged and thankful to you for sharing this. Blessings to you! xoxo

• Reply Tamara D. Davis May 13, 2015 at 8:21 am

Good morning! I haven’t watched the video yet but you know I will and I’ll be back. :)

I now have a strong idea of what my individual calling is–it’s to encourage. I prayed Isaiah 50:4 over my life years ago and wow, it’s coming to pass in ways that I never thought possible. I had no idea that God would place people on my heart the way He does. I enjoy it to the fullest!

As I grow spiritually, I am constantly overjoyed with how He continually prepares me and most of the time, I don’t even know what’s He preparing me for until “I’m there.” :) He’s full of surprises.

• Reply Tamara D. Davis May 13, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I watched the video. Kim, if we can’t get those things you named down pat, then we should’t be worried about “Lord what is my calling?”! Those are the basics, the fundamentals of this walk! You hit it with this Kim. This was so refreshing and right on time. :)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm

“if we can’t get those things you named down pat, then we shouldn’t be worried about ‘Lord what is my calling?!'” I was nodding and chuckling at the same time. Exactly! We’ve got to focus on the fundamentals. I see way too many people more concerned with their individual calling, and not concerned at all with the basics. But how can you expect God to use you in a particular way, if you don’t have a heart to obey in the things He’s already laid out? Certainly, we understand that we are all growing….not talking about that. But if our focus is the Lord and doing His will, we’ll have a heart to follow in all things.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Good afternoon Tamara! You know anyone who knows you or has been coming to this blog for any length of time knows you have the gift of encouragement. :) It so awesome! I was moved this morning to do a followup to this post next week, and one thing I want to talk about is how we are all called to do certain things, like encourage others…..but some are truly CALLED to do do more because it’s a gift. You know that you know your calling in this area, and it’s beautiful. SO awesome that you prayed Isaiah 50:4 over your life….wow! I just love your heart to uplift people.

This right here–> “…most of the time, I don’t even know what’s He preparing me for until ‘I’m there.'” YES!!! That’s why I’m saying, if you’re about God’s business, He will lead you where you need to go! You don’t have to fret and be worried about your calling. As in your case, you might just look up and be there, because it’s God at work. He is definitely full of surprises!

• Reply Tamara D. Davis May 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm

YUP!!!! When it happens, you’re like “Well Lord, how did I get here?!?!?” LOL I’m seeing that manifest more and more. It’s a beautiful feeling to be able to share Him and His ways in various places in our lives.

• Reply Heather Adams May 13, 2015 at 10:34 am

I really needed this today, Kim! I don’t know if I’ve shared before that I’m writing; I signed with a literary agent a few months ago and she’s shopping my first (non-CBA) novel. I keep feeling pulled toward trying CBA and then I wonder if I’m crazy–after all, I’m just getting going on this other path. Ultimately, of course, there’s a much bigger picture that should be my concern and I can serve God in many ways–regardless of which direction my writing takes. (And maybe I can try both.) In the meantime, it’s good to focus on what the Bible tells us we are called to do–love the Lord, walk in unity with others, walk by the spirit, pursue love and peace, study God’s Word, flee immorality, love our neighbors, and so on. After work, I will come back to your video again to study it. You have packed so much wisdom in there (per usual). Thank you so, so much.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Hi Heather! No, I didn’t know you’re writing! That’s so exciting!!! Congratulations on signing with an agent and shopping your first novel! I understand what you mean about the pull. I think as you focus on the Lord, you will gain deeper clarity as to your path. I’m sure you’ve been praying. And whatever story He’s given you, you know whether it fits CBA or not. Don’t feel you have to go with CBA in order to glorify God. (I know you don’t; just saying:)). It’s all about your heart, not who your publisher is. You will glorify Him no matter where your books land, and reach people that He already plans for you to reach. I cannot wait to see where this path leads for you. Keep me updated!

• Reply Tamara D. Davis May 13, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Congratulations Heather!!!! (Ummmm, what is CBA? I’m just a nosy reader who likes to know what initials stand for LOL)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 4:22 pm

LOL….it’s Christian Bookseller’s Association. It’s made up of the publishers who publish the books (fiction and nonfiction) and Bibles you see in the Christian bookstores, etc.

• Reply Heather Adams May 14, 2015 at 7:59 am

Oh, sorry Tamara! I see that Kim has explained. ;) And you know it’s funny, the more I thought about the points in the video, the more these types of concerns on my part seem petty and fairly unimportant… (The word re-alignment comes to mind but I’m not sure that’s quite it.) Anyway, thank you, Kim for reminding us what we are all called to be and do and prayers for you all as we continue down the path.

• Reply Brenda Kittles May 13, 2015 at 1:29 pm

This was so needed! When we think of our calling– we do tend to think of it in a personal manner and not as what does GOD call ALL of us to do? I think that a lot of our decisions can probably be trimmed and simplified if we viewed it in the lens of what you talked about in the video. I get so excited and I just want to skip work and study! (Although I’m sure God wouldn’t approve of skipping work LOL)

• Reply Tamara D. Davis May 13, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Brenda, I think, too, that when we start doing those things we’re all called to, it’s in doing them that He begins to show us and equip us for the “personal” calling. Great comment!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) May 13, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Yes, Brenda. (No don’t skip work…all though you could now skip to work :) ) But it’s exciting to think of how this particular understanding of “calling” can invade all of your life and suddenly “work” becomes a part of that calling.

Bless you!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Hi Brenda! I so agree with what you said, that a lot of our decisions can probably be trimmed and simplified when viewed in the lens of what we’re called to do. We have our guidelines in place, and as Debbie said, we discover that we’re walking in our “calling” in the simplest of things. Isn’t it exciting to be so excited that you want to study?? Love your heart for God and His Word. But no, don’t skip work. LOL So glad to see you hear today, sis!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) May 13, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Good day, Kim. Well. Amen! This is a much needed encouragement and reminder that our calling is really all about HIM. Our calling is first and foremost, I think to love Him. To make Him our calling and to live out who He has and is making us to be. It is to know Him and make Him known (we do this as we answer the many “callings” in the Word and as we do we come to know Him more intimately and He is seen in us both as we live out those callings in our private, daily and public lives and in the everyday moments as well as in our “roles”) I think you’ve done such a good job of showing us some of those callings and how to see His Word as showing us just what those callings are and how to live them out.

Each of those specific callings you showed us, we can live out in whatever “roles” God calls us to. I may be a teacher and God may call me to live out love, mercy, compassion, care, lift His name through His heart for my students expressed through me. I may be a nurse bringing Jesus to my patients when they are at a point where they need the touch of Jesus. I may be a Christian author or speaker, letting God use the role and talents and gifts He’s given me to teach and disciple, encourage and convict. But these roles are specific means for delivering the “calling” and my “calling” does not stop when I go home at night, or close the book, or put down the pen. My calling continues and is just as significant when I change the baby’s diaper and blow raspberries on her tummy, or when I stop myself from ranting at my husband (who me???? ;) ) because he’s late getting home (who him???? ;) ) and instead either address the issue gently and in a spirit of dependance on God or simply leave it in God’s hands and be patient and understanding. (Of course I also believe mothering and wifeing and friending are also callings :) )

We live in a world that is full of identity and calling being found in a role. This is true in the Christian world also. It’s infiltrated the church (and has, probably from day 1…it’s not new). As believers there are so many messages to live our dream, follow our passion, if it’s on your heart God must have put it there (maybe but not necessarily), and our eyes become focused on the role as our passion and that is primary and we must be doing “something big.” (Bet we’d be surprised by what God consideres “big” in comparison to some of the things we think are “big”).

BUT where ever I find myself. Right NOW. Is where I am to live out my calling. The roles in which I find myself will probably change many times through my life time and in each of those roles I am called to live HIM. I am called to live by faith. I am called to love Him and let Him live in me and through me…each and every moment. Living my calling is not dependant on the specific roles God may place me in that give me opportunities to live that calling out.

Some of us may be called to the writing life, the speaking life, the pastorate, the business world and God will use each and every one of those roles to show Himself and bless others (and us) but at the heart of all role callings is the calling you have expressed in this video.

Whew. This was long. But I feel pretty passionate about this (can you tell) and I think what you have shared is a freedom bringer for many. It’s a great reminder for me to live each moment for Him and let Him take care of what He does with it.

…Still, I’m very glad that this is one of the roles God called you to to live out your calling. Mwha & Hugs.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Hey there Debbie! Of course I’m nodding at your first line…..and thinking, “I should have made that even more PLAIN…that our calling is all about HIM!” :D It truly is. It’s nothing but the enemy that infects “calling” such that it becomes all about us….with a little of God on the side.

I was just telling Tamara above that I was moved this morning to right a followup to this for next week. I wanted to touch on exactly what you said so well here, that much of our callings are lived out day to day, wherever God has planted us. “My calling continues and is just as significant when I change the baby’s diaper and blow raspberries on her tummy….” Love this and AMEN!!! So, so good. It is a 24-7 calling, when we do or don’t feel like it (especially with that tongue and the ranting or complaining….sigh).

You have said exactly what was on my heart….that there is SO much out there in terms of living our “dream” and following our “passion.” Well intended, I’m sure. But there’s a lot of danger in that too. So many areas of temptation to make it about me and not God. I sometimes think I’m too much of a stickler about this, because I hardly ever talk about my “dream” to do this or that. I’d rather think of it as a desire of the heart that God has given, and even then, I want to pray, pray, pray to be sure I’m abiding in Him and hearing from Him. And as you said, I have to always be of a mind that at the heart of whatever it is, I need to walk out the callings God has laid out in His Word. Those NEVER change.

This was so good. Did I already say that? It needed to be said again! I hear your passion, and I love it. And I just love the way you put this–> “…one of the roles god called you to to live out your calling.” Yes! It’s a means to an end…not THE end. Amen!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) May 13, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Oh, sorry. Me again. I just want to say I LOVE that Ephesians 2:10 tells us that we were created for the good works HE created specifically for us to do. And that the picture here is “walking in them”. The things God calls us to “do” are there, along the path. We don’t have to make good works or take on works others tell us are ours (though they may have some insight we might want to consider) we need only take on what is OURS to take on. And being as God is the one who assigns them — He is responsible for putting them in our path. The key to recognizing them is to be open, yielded, walking and knowing (and growing in knowing) His Word. We so often want to “strategize” the how-to’s. But God has shown He wants us walking by faith, not strategy…this is difficult to explain (and I’m doing a poor job of it) in a world that is so strategy (control) oriented. Letting God take the lead can be a bit frightening and unsetteling…(There’s so much that could be said on all of this and I’ve said more than my fair share. Thanks for your patience everyone.)

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) May 13, 2015 at 2:35 pm

(p.p.s. I am not saying God does not use strategy, just that that is not where our faith or focus should be. And God is in the habit of mixing it up, so….)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I knew exactly what you meant. We get mired in man-made strategies and rely more on the strategy than on prayer and trusting God. We can never lose sight of the walk of faith. And I firmly believe that when we walk by faith, we set ourselves up to be blown away by the ways in which God shows up….way more than our little human strategies can produce.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 13, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Sorry? I told you, this is good! We DO live in a strategy-oriented world, even in the Christian world. I was thinking about Ephesians 2:10, and how we tend to think of “good works” that are specific things like pastor, writer, singer, etc. But how about the good works being the show of love whenever you go into the grocery store? Surely, God knew what clerks would be there, and how you would impact them. Or what students would be in the teacher’s class and be impacted for life. Or what plumber would come to your house and see a Bible and strike up a conversation, and hear the Gospel. Methinks we complicate things a tad. :) Which only ends up frustrating us because we make it more than it needs to be….and start strategizing what doesn’t need to be strategized. (I know that was awkward, but you’ve got me fired up now:))

You’ve explained it WELL! Got more on your heart? I’m listening:)

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) May 13, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Well, I LOVE what else you said here. I am getting filled up on God’s good stuff, here. I am excited for the follow up. And I think, by-the-way, your video and the intro here did a really good, good, good job of making it plain that this is all about God. You point us back to Him and His work and His working and His way through the whole thing. You KNOW I love this, girl!!!!!

• Reply Shahmet May 18, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hey Kim & Family!

I haven’t posted in a minute but I have been reading & viewing all that you post. I love how you got a broad message in this concise video. It is a wonderful reminder that when I am focused on that which I know I should do, the rest will be revealed to me. I just wanted to add that I see your growth in creating engaging & interesting videos. The graphics were on point, the music was not overpowering and it all helped the viewer to focus on your message.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate May 20, 2015 at 7:55 am

Hey Shahmet! So good to see you. :) Thanks so much for the encouragement about the video! This one and the one before it were mainly graphics, so it’s nice to hear that they were on point. :) So thankful for your feedback. Hope all is well. Blessings, sis!