identity, YouTube

Our Identity . . . Changed

April 27, 2015

Who We Are in ChristMy daughter is studying Biology this year, and we are in the middle of a unit on genetics. We’re learning about chromosomes and genes, and traits and heredity. And while I never had a huge love of science in school, re-learning it now—especially this—has been completely fascinating.

I’m amazed by the complexity with which God designs our bodies, down to the tiniest cell, and the ways in which we inherit traits from one parent or another. It boggles my mind, literally! So much went into God’s design for our first birth.

And yet, because of that one trait we all inherit—sin—we had to be born again.

All this science has made me even more excited about our second birth as believers. Look at First John 1:9:

“No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.”

His seed abides in him.

I don’t have words to explain how much this blows me away. I mean, it has always blown me away. But right now, with genetics swimming in my head….

What’s remarkable is that the Spirit of God chose these words, knowing they would be words our brains could understand.

We would understand that we cannot have God’s seed abiding in us, and not have our very identity changed.

We would understand that if His seed abides in us, we have His traits.

We can’t even sin (not habitually), the passage says, because His seed abides in us.

And as soon as our flesh gets out of the way, “when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is” (1 John 3:2).

I love that the Word, alive and active, speaks into every season of our lives. I was born again over twenty years ago, and yet, am still excited about the many facets of what that means.

This week, I was moved to do a video on “Who You Are in Christ,” hoping to encourage us all as to our great inheritance. It never gets old to survey the richness of our identity in Him. My prayer: Lord, help us to walk daily in that richness!

What word(s) in the video stuck out to you?

• Reply Tamara D. Davis April 28, 2015 at 7:57 am

Good morning!!!! Great post! I have not watched the video yet but I will be back after I watch it. I like the new home page design :)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 28, 2015 at 10:07 am

Good Morning Tamara! So glad you like the new blog photo!!! (Still debating about whether to move the blog page back to the home page:)) Okay, I’ll see you when you return! :D

• Reply Tamara D. Davis April 28, 2015 at 11:09 am

I’m back! For the blog page, the only suggestion I have is to make the letters above your name (the place where we click to move around the site) a darker color. The white is hard to see.

For the video–I am digging the word art!!!!! Maaaannn, when “strong in Christ” stood up, I was like YES!!! I also liked the art on “a new creation”. However, the word that really stood out to me was “salt of the earth”. I can’t even explain why. LOL Such a flavorful description of us and I like it! It reminds me of the demeanor I am supposed to have as a beloved and follower of God. Thank you for all of these very vivid and descriptive words! They are such powerful reminders and this video will be viewed again. Next time, I will SPEAK the words!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Really, the white is still hard to see? When I first changed to that photo, you couldn’t see the tabs at all. But they made a change so that that area is darker, and the white on the tab buttons showed up, at least on my computer. I wonder can they make it darker, for the white to show up better. Thanks for that feedback!

You know I was having fun with the word art. :) It was more time consuming, but I wanted something meaningful for the words (at least as many as possible). So YES, the “strong in Christ” got me really excited! Definitely interested that “salt of the earth” stood out for you! I do think it’s so descriptive. Something about seeing all these words in one place. God has blessed us tremendously!

• Reply Felecia April 28, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Kim this was such a great video and it could not have came at a better time! It’s so important to be reminded of who we are in Christ and to affirm it! I love all the characteristics you listed. I admit some of them I have a hard time accepting and believing in regards to my identity in Christ ; yet all of them are true regardless of me. I’m so glad God is patient and helps me slowly accept what he has for me while affirming who and whose I am! I can no longer place my new name and identity on my old self. It’s time to leave that old self and embrace my new identity in Christ. I love the fact that I am accepted, blessed, child of God, citizen of heaven, delivered, free, gifted, his beloved, light of the world, more than a conqueror , a new creation, protected, redeemed ( which is my absolute favorite one), salt of the earth, seated in heavenly places, set apart, strong in Christ, and his witness!!!! Whew amen and thank you Jesus!!!! It’s like not only do I get the ice cream which alone is all I need, the Lord gives us a little sprinkle sprinkle with the extra toppings so to speak with the reality of what he has given us freely! Ahhhh how awesome is that and how awesome it he! Thanks again for posting and I’m so glad I can rant about his goodness with my sister’s in Christ! Have a great day blog family!!!

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

• Reply Tamara D. Davis April 28, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Ooooooo, I really like the way you put that!!! Ice cream and sprinkles!!!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) April 28, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Oooo me too…ice cream and sprinkles…love it. And you are right. I don’t always “feel” like what He says about my identity is true but I need to judge my identity by what He says — not what I feel. The accuser can say what he wants — it’ll never change the truth. I need to live out what is true and enjoy the blessedness of that rather than exchange it for the poison of the enemy! Yay, God!!!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 28, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Hey Felecia! You made two points that are so important… 1) “…yet all of them are true regardless of me”….yes, yes! I think it’s natural to have a hard time accepting and believing all of it because it’s SO lavish and SO beyond what is possible in an earthly sense. But GOD is LAVISH. He really is! (AMEN to the “sprinkle sprinkle with extra toppings”!!) It just moves us to praise Him all the more for giving us so much. So yes, walk in them as TRUE regardless of what your mind can grasp. None of us can truly grasp it. :D And 2) “I can no longer place my new name and identity on my old self”….wooo, that’ll preach! Girl, YES, with a new name, you HAVE to embrace your new identity. :)

Rant on about His goodness, sis! I love it!

• Reply Tamara D. Davis April 29, 2015 at 7:06 am

Now see, I just thought about the scripture about not putting new wine in old wine skins! Glory!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) April 28, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Kim…what a beautiful video…we can play this over and over and over again. What encouragement!

I am blessed! That’s what I am in Christ…and yet, how often do I forget that all He is doing, allowing, working in and out in my life is to bless. So often I believe the lie of the enemy who tempts me to believe I am cursed because things aren’t going my way, or aren’t perfect (according to me) or comfortable or good (again according to me). But God has called me to be and calls me blessed. I am blessed because of what God has done for me in Christ Jesus at the cross and is doing in and for and through me because it is Christ who lives in me working all this out. (Just a few thoughts on “blessed”) AND I am blessed because I AM CHOSEN. You know, there is absolutely no reason in this world based on me that I am chosen. It is a gift, an undeserved honor, an I-just-don’t-get-it wonder because of HIS mercy and grace and love alone. I get to KNOW GOD as His because He chose me! There is nothing in me worthy to have been chosen but He did anyway. Happy sigh.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 28, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Hey Debbie! You know (and I know this won’t surprise you, given the kindredness :)), but I was focusing on that word BLESSED too. Do you know how much is IN that word?!? That’s a rhetorical question, of course, but “blessed” can seem like a basic word, because we hear it so much. But WOW, that WORD! As you said, we can look at the things happening in our lives and not *feel* very blessed. But it’s an out-and-out LIE. Just think if we could get a glimpse of the things God is doing that we can’t see….the things He’s protecting us from that we can’t see….and what if we could see clear into eternity?? We are BLESSED beyond measure. And CHOSEN is one of my other absolute faves…. Yes, Happy sigh.

*now hearing in my head* “Our God is an awesome God….”

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) April 28, 2015 at 5:14 pm

YES, YES, YES!!!! AND AMEN! (Sorry for yelling…but I just had to…and I’m singing along with you. :) )

• Reply Megan JOY April 28, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hey Kim!

Loved the video – it was my workout companion :). I am just enthralled with biology and how creative and intricate God’s work is…and He took time to think up and form ME…every single cell and gene in my body!

I really want to check out those verses you mentioned in the video but can’t find them. Could you guide me to them, please?

I LOVE hearing you speak – it is so strong and encouraging. God bless you greatly in all ways!

Love your lil’ sis,
    MJOYB

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 28, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Hey Lil’ Sis! :D

Aww, I love that I was a workout companion! That’s really cool. :) YES, the biology….never would have thought I’d ever be excited about science. But looking at it through the lens of God’s handiwork makes ALL the difference. It is absolutely amazing!

Okay, to find the verses…. If you click the title at the top of the video on this page (there’s a clickable link on the title “Who You Are in Christ” on the top of the video itself that’s embedded), it will take you to the YouTube page for the video. Beneath the video, there’s an information box. You’ll see the verses there. Another way to get there is to go to youtube.com/kimcashtate. You’ll see the video at the top of the page. Click the video, and it will open up a page. That’s where you’ll see the description box. Let me know if you have any trouble!

And thank you so much for your encouraging words! Blessings to you too, dear one!