Bible, YouTube

Meditating on the Word

February 22, 2015

How I MemorizeIt’s interesting how one’s view of a verse of Scripture can change over time. I’ve loved this verse from the first time I read it:

“This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.” Joshua 1:8

Reading it years ago, I focused on those words, “prosperous” and “success”. And I somehow thought that if I meditated on the word of God, and by Gods grace, walked in obedience, things would go well. Not only go well, but prosper. I would “have success.” I don’t know what I thought that would actually look like, but I certainly didn’t picture difficult trials in the mix.

It wasn’t until I was preparing for this video that I realized how much I’ve meditated on the word through Scripture memory, since about 2003. And through Scripture memory, as I’ve meditated, I’ve grown in my understanding of the word, and hopefully grown in obedience. (Did you notice Joshua 1:8 says to meditate day and night so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it? Is it not awesome that meditating on the word leads to obedience to the word?) But in the past two or three years, there seems to have been one trial after another, in the midst of which I could have been hard-pressed to believe I was prospering or having success.

And yet, I was. Being in the Word consistently helped me to focus on the Lord in times of trial. It gave me a wellspring of knowledge about Him and His attributes, and an eternal perspective. It didn’t mean there weren’t hard days or anxious days. But I was able to draw upon Scripture that helped me to trust, believe, and endure.

And that means I was prospering, and having success.

I am amazed at the ways in which the word of God builds us up and causes our souls to prosper. This particular post is about memorization, which I know isn’t for everyone. Being in the Word consistently is what’s key.  But hey, maybe the video will persuade one or two of you to give it a try! :-)

So what do you do to stay consistently in the Word? And are you memorizing anything right now? If so, what? And if you’re persuaded to try memorization after watching the video, please let me know!

• Reply Tamara Davis February 23, 2015 at 7:23 am

Good morning!!! Yesterday, our pastor spoke about abounding in hope. One of the keys was “my hope is your word”, but if we don’t know the word, we don’t know what to put our hope in. He went on to discuss meditating and how important it is meditate the solution (the word of God) and not the problem. I am in the process of learning how to “think on these things” from Philippians 4:8. More importantly, the application of this scripture is critical in my life right now. I wrote it down and it sits at my desk in my view all day. I don’t have it quite memorized but I know I’ll get it! Some verses come to me easier than others. Staying in the Word is so key because faith comes by hearing and hearing and hearing. Our minds are continually being renewed daily and ONLY the word can do it.

I haven’t watched the video yet but I’ll come back later after I watch the video.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 23, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Hey Tamara! This right here–> “…if we don’t know the word, we don’t know what to put our hope in”…yes! That’s what I’m talking about! :-) If we don’t know the word, what do we stand on? How do we trust God? It goes on and on… The word is EVERYTHING. I love that you are in the process of learning to “think on these things”…that’s awesome! Okay, so you wrote down the verse (yay!) and it sits at your desk all day. Are you saying it aloud? I know you hadn’t watched the video yet, but you’ll learn it faster if you’re saying it aloud and maybe carrying it with you as you go here and there, so you can say it aloud at those times as well. I’m excited for you! Staying in the word brings so many blessings.

• Reply Tamara Davis February 24, 2015 at 7:24 am

I don’t say it out loud as much as I probably should. What tends to happen is I can see the words on the page or paper. That’s what helps too. If I highlight something in the bible, I can remember what color, where it’s at on the page and in which column.

I’ll be saying them more. :) The ones I do know, I go throughout my day “Lord, I thank you for (insert scripture)”. Now, let me go watch the video!

I also agree with the young lady who said getting it from head knowledge to heart knowledge is another story. YES!!!!!!!!

• Reply Tamara Davis February 24, 2015 at 7:26 am

Sooooooooo, to make sure I have it with me at all times, I just took a picture of it and made it my wallpaper on my phone!!!!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 25, 2015 at 9:18 am

I love the wallpaper on the phone idea!!!

• Reply Jennifer February 23, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Meeting me at my front door…as always! I am very excited to get started with this! I know how important it is, but getting it from head knowledge to heart knowledge is something different. The video was excellent and the strategies on point and realistic. I appreciate that you are always so transparent. That is such a blessing to me! Love you sister-friend!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 23, 2015 at 11:33 pm

I’m praising God that He takes me to your front door! :) I’m also praising God that you felt the strategies were on point and realistic. That’s such a blessing. Last week when I knew I’d be doing a video, I was paying close attention to what I did on the treadmill as I memorized. It’s funny when things become second-nature, and you don’t realize all that you’re doing. Choose a Psalm or passage and jump in! It’ll move to heart knowledge as you go. :) Love you too, sister-friend!

• Reply Shan February 23, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Hello everyone!

I read in the Rick Warren’s Purpose Drive Life that “Praying is us talking to God and that meditating is God talking to us.” What an excellent idea to meditate, interact, and commune with God on a more intimate level! You are so right, Kim. “Once you’ve memorized something, it becomes a part of you.” Since God is the Word, how exciting is it for God to become more and more ingrained in our being?

Thanks so much for this reminder!

P.S. On a random and very vain note, you are radiating beauty. Your hair is giving me LIFE!! I am compelled to go do mine :-)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 23, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Hey Shan! I love thinking of it that way, that meditating is God talking to us. And it truly is! That’s why I’ll probably do Scripture memory indefinitely (as God gives me grace) because it’s such a blessing to hear from God in that way. And I love this…”Since God is the Word, how exciting is it for God to become more and more ingrained in our being?” I could meditate on THAT for a good while. Being in the book of John especially, with so much emphasis on Jesus and saying His words, I HAVE been feeling that He’s becoming more ingrained within me. I hadn’t thought about it in the way you put it, but WOW! There’s no way to measure the blessing in that. That’s amazing.

And thank you, my dear sis, for that P.S.! :) Speaking of hair, I totally miss you and your videos on YouTube. MamaDaye even asked about you and said she misses you too. You are such a sweet presence, which is why your absence is greatly felt. Hoping you’ll be back one day, but I know you’ll be Spirit led in whatever you do. Blessings to you, sis!

• Reply NON-Superwoman February 23, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Love this! My boys memorize scripture as part of their school curriculum and I’ve said I’m going to join them. These tips will be a great aid!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 23, 2015 at 11:41 pm

I’m praising God that you found these tips helpful, sis! That truly blesses me. And what a blessing that your boys are hiding the Word in their hearts at a young age. It’ll be awesome to learn together. You’ll have to let me know how it goes! :)

• Reply Angie Dowell February 23, 2015 at 11:11 pm

“The goal is to grow closer to God.” “Keep going because the fruit is amazing.” Love this!!! It isn’t another thing to check off our list, but a way we can continue to hide God’s Word in our heart, that we might not sin against Him.” Psalm 119:11 I never, ever thought I could memorize a whole book of the Bible. Chapters? Yes. A whole book, like James? No way! But like I said the other day, I’m almost done. I just want to encourage others out there to take it slow and give it a try! Maybe find a friend to do it with you, like I did. Or do some books on your own and other books with a friend!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 23, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Angie, I’m so glad you stopped by with encouragement! I remember when we were talking about Scripture memory years ago, and here you are with almost all of the book of James hidden in your heart. How awesome is that?! I love that you did it with a friend. What a great way to fellowship and keep one another encouraged. You’re making me want to do James, but I’m a little tied up in John right now. :) We’ll have to talk one day about the amazing fruit that’s come from memorizing that book.

And I just saw on FB that it’s your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANGIE!!! Many blessings to you as you continue your rich walk with the Lord. xoxo

• Reply Angie Dowell February 24, 2015 at 9:14 am

Thank you for the birthday wishes Kim! Yes, we will have to get together, hopefully sometime soon! So much to catch up on…

• Reply Tamara Davis February 24, 2015 at 9:00 am

I watched the video and I am digging it! I sent the link to a friend who attends church with me. What I learned is that sometime, I’ll remember the principle of a scripture long before I memorize the actual words. I’ll also memorize a scripture but not the “address” of the scripture. I am looking forward this Kim. I already have a Psalm I want to memorize as well as some other scriptures about the love of God.

Oh, you are not the only who likes colors. LOL When I go re-listen sermons at home, I take out my crayons and draw pictures to illustrate a point to me. Like, I have a big red heart with the words “God’s Grace” written in the middle. Underneath that, I have the words “my problems” in really small letters. To me this is demonstrating the point that God’s grace is bigger than my problems. A girl has need of a 96 box of Crayolas!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 25, 2015 at 9:28 am

“I’ll remember the principle of a scripture long before I memorize the actual words”….awesome. And that’s how it works with me as well. Usually I’m memorizing something because the truth in those verses has drawn me. So I always know the principle of the verses before I know it word-for-word. Also, I don’t memorize the “address” of the scripture. I should have said this on the video, but as I’m saying the words, I’m not also saying the number of the verse. I just know it’s from chapter such-and-such, near the middle. lol Love that you’re a color girl too!!!

• Reply Kim February 24, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Outstanding! I am posting the video on my blog today. I know it will bless many. It certainly blessed me.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 25, 2015 at 9:28 am

Kim, I’m praising God that it blessed you! Truly. Thanks so much for posting it, sis! I pray it blesses those who watch.

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) February 28, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Kim, this was soo awesome. I have a really hard time “memorizing”, especially the “address” of where scriptures are found. When I do memorize (and I do) I promptly forget the “word for word” of it — no matter how much I review. BUT I am o.k. with that (it really is a humbling thing for someone who loves God’s word and “teaches” and “preaches” it…sigh and most often the real sense of it stays and actually eventually I have it almost word for word by God’s grace)).

But having said that (about the whole, “I have difficulty” thing), I do seek to meditate and focus on scriptures…Right now, Meg and I are doing the SIESTA Memory Verse Team with Beth Moore. And I use the spiral bound note cards (yay spiral bound note cards!). And a BIG “AMEN” to the “prayerfully choose” your verse, passage or book. It seems that God most often directs me to a verse/passage and because I find my self in circumstances and situations (again, most often) that call for the remembrance of that verse/passage I am repeating it an applying it frequently when I am memorizing it. I also like to take the time to journal on the verse, and to “study” it…I search out the context, the meaning of the original words (I’m such a nerd sometimes :) ) and what that reveals about the verse/passage and what God is saying and saying to me through the verse and how He wants me to apply it TODAY. Sometimes I will have the verse on my heart and mind and just when someone else needs it — or I will be moved to pray it for someone else. It just seems God most often keeps that verse “in front of me”.

And AMEN, again on this…the goal of memorization is not to just get a bunch of the Bible memorized but to Know God and His ways and His Word so that we might me more intimate with Him, be transformed and to bless others with truth. God’s word always “invites” us to live in the truth of that word!!

Oh, and I am so glad that God’s Spirit really is faithful to enable us. Although I’ve said I have trouble memorizing I will be honest and tell you that I am amazed at how much knowledge of His Word He has given me, how simply doing what He enables me to do in learning it has produced fruit and is producing fruit I didn’t even know was there. So…if anyone else struggles with memorizing I would say, take heart. God is at work, don’t give up and trust Him. You don’t have to “look” like anyone else or compare yourself to another and their ability to memorize the word….stick with HIM in it and simply go one step at a time.

You have give such GREAT counsel here, Kim. I’m encouraged and have learned!

Hugs & blessings…

P.S. The verse I’m working on right now is
    “This is what the LORD says to you;
    ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged [or *panic]
    because of this vast army. For the battle is
    not yours but God’s'”

2 Chronicles 20:15(b) (NIV) (*panic is from the NET Bible)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate March 2, 2015 at 9:11 am

Debbie, I’m so glad you brought up difficulty memorizing, which is what Bill says as well. (Of course, when he first said it, I said, “You *just* have to work at it and stay diligent.” Because if I could do it, he should be able to do it. lol *sigh*) It’s so interesting that our brains are so fantastically wired by God to do different things in different ways.

I also love your point that even if memorization doesn’t come easily, we can still meditate and focus on the scriptures. “Journal on the verse”….that sounds sooo awesome….why can’t I get into journaling?? I must have a non-journal wired brain. :D You know I’m over here nodding over this –> “I search out the context, the meaning of the original words (I’m such a nerd sometimes :) ) and what that reveals about the verse/passage and what God is saying…” That makes it so rich! And so true that whatever we are meditating on, God will use it in so many ways, whether for ourselves or someone else.

What a testimony about how much fruit the Lord has produced in your life as you have learned His word. There is absolutely NO downside to meditating on the word, whether through memorization, focused study…. So true that we never need compare ourselves with others. For years, I never told people that I was memorizing books of the Bible (unless it came up because of the specific topic), because I didn’t want it to seem like some “big” thing. But I’ve seen so much fruit in my walk with God through memorization, that I was moved to share…..so that others with similarly wired brains could maybe benefit from some tips. But meditating on the word is the key!

Love your heart for the word, Debbie. We’ve been blessed here on the blog because of your constant time in the word. Love you!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) March 2, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Awww…thank you so much Kim for your encouragement. I’m the blessed one.

• Reply Janet Pope March 20, 2015 at 9:45 am

Hi Kim,
    Finding you was so incredible. You and I are kindred hearts. I have a blog for memorizers. May I use your article on my blog and include your video? Many will be encouraged by it. Janet Pope

• Reply Kim Cash Tate March 20, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Hi Janet! I replied on YouTube but wanted to say here as well that I would be absolutely honored for you to use whatever you want to use. :) Thank you so much for being an encouragement to me years ago when I contacted you after reading your book. You are such an inspiration!