Blog, Featured

The God Who Sees

November 9, 2014

God seesWe live in an age of public life. We know what many of our friends and family are doing, when they’re doing it, and where—often in real time. Ministry life is no exception. We see posts and pictures about engagement in the community and in the lives of individuals. And we’re “killin’ it” if engagement is from a stage. There’s sure to be much made of that.

But for most of us, much of what we do is practically hidden. When we rise in the night to check a sick kid’s temperature. When we wipe a nose, change a diaper. When we pray for those whom the Lord has put on our hearts. When we know workers by name at the local store and show them kindness. When we show up for our jobs on time and work with excellence and integrity. When we do laundry, mop the floor, or note that our husband is running low on his favorite coffee, and we replenish it.  When we read aloud to our little ones or prepare the day’s homeschool lesson.

It can seem as if these things aren’t “big” things. You’ve likely heard someone say, “I’m just a stay-at-home mom” or “I just [do this job or that].” Our kids don’t post, “My mom is “killin’ it” in getting dinner on the table or taking time to listen to their hearts or to teach them what they need to know about life and God. But that’s what many of us do. Every day. Quietly.

I love these verses:

“Whatever you do in word and deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.” Colossians 3:17

“Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”  1 Corinthians 10:31

Whatever you do . . .

If you think that what you do is small or inconsequential, know that God thinks differently. How can it be inconsequential, if it’s done in the name of the Lord Jesus? God values the hidden work of the heart and home. He delights in that which brings Him glory, even if we’re the only ones who know we’re doing it. In fact, in this social media age, we should check our hearts before posting about good works. The public accolades might be the reward, rather than an eternal reward from “your Father who sees what is done in secret” (Matthew 6:6).

I’m so glad He sees. And I’m thankful He gives us the grace to press on, living unto Him and Him alone . . . for His glory . . . whether or not anyone else sees.

Have you felt that “whatever you do” is small or inconsequential? Are you tempted to compare your “whatever” to others? Does it encourage you that God sees?

• Reply Tamara Davis November 10, 2014 at 9:02 am

What a great post! Last month some time, I was led to go back and listen to me tell my testimony from a radio show I appeared on. While listening, the Lord said “Stop trying to chase someone else’s testimony.” I was like “WOW!”. As I sat and mediated on that, He showed me where I had slipped into this place of trying to live someone else’s life (testimony) because I didn’t think mine was good enough. Listening to that again encouraged me to realize the life God is building for me is just fine.

God is creating a unique story for each one of us and He DOES see all that we do. The story He’s creating for each one of us will blend into His total picture for the Kingdom of God. I was guilty of trying to do and run after things for the wrong reason. I have learned and continue to learn that when we do things for God, as stated above, it produces a sense of joy. We no longer do it out of obligation but for the simple reason of honoring Him. Honoring Him is more than enough.

• Reply Danielle November 10, 2014 at 9:49 am

“Honoring Him is more than enough.” Amen, Tam…..a great reminder, just like this post, Kim! Don’t you love when you hear God’s voice like that??!! (Sometimes I don’t love it so much, when I’m an argumentative daughter trying to get my way, and Dad keeps putting His opinion in there! LOL) But He always knows best……and I love to honor Him! I’ve grown in wisdom in that area, too…..thanks for a good comment as always, Tamara!

• Reply Tamara Davis November 10, 2014 at 2:27 pm

The beautiful thing about God is that the more we fellowship with Him, the more He reveals Himself to us. Then the revelation of how much we still have to develop and grow becomes clearer and clearer. That’s why I love Him…He’s so plentious in mercy.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

Tam, I love that you are always willing to humble yourself and share how the Lord has convicted you in a certain area. And I love it because you know that we know that we are ALL being challenged and convicted about something….that we are all sisters here….and that God uses our stories to help and encourage one another. It’s amazing how the enemy tempts us to think that our own testimonies aren’t good enough. AS IF the immense glory and grace that has been poured out from heaven on our behalf is somehow less than the glory and grace given to another. How is he able to deceive us that way?! Whatever God does is powerful and glorious and abundant and SUPERNATURAL. I’m praising Him that you heard that gentle rebuke :) and were encouraged to rejoice in what He’s done and is doing for you. He is indeed writing your story. And by the way, anyone who’s been coming to this blog long enough KNOWS what an amazing story He’s writing for you! Girl, please! :) Your Valentine’s Day story was a wonderfully crazy testimony of how God has shown you such love, that your heart is to lavish it on others. “Honoring Him is more than enough”…and praise God, that’s what you do!

• Reply Tamara Davis November 10, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I think sharing our testimonies at the appropriate time honors God as well. I just had another person tell me last week that she is learning so much from my life. I’ve taken a lot of hits but if my hits can keep someone from being touched, I’ll share it. I am not embarrassed or ashamed in any way.

Interesting you should mention Valentine’s Day. I’ve been asking God to show me who’s on our “list” this year. I try to be strategic and purposed as you know. Well the lady He led me to bless in 2013 was elated to be thought of on that day being that she was recovering from a divorce. In 2014, this same lady was at my party I had earlier this year. Well today, she is now engaged to phenomenal man of God. I have watched her life transform as a result of the power of the love of God. I already have the three who will be blessed this year! I am excited already :)

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 10, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Tamara, awesome…absolutely awesome. “Stop trying to chase someone else’s testimony”. I told Kim that I wanted to cross stitch “If you think that what you do is small or inconsequential, know that God thinks differently.” on a pillow…I think I might have to get two (grin). It’s true though, isn’t it? We “hear” and “see” so much that is happening because of the internet and social media (as Kim pointed out) and so its so easy to begin believing that our “everyday lives” don’t matter that much, that we aren’t “doing or being” anything compared to Miss X or Mrs. Y…but God doesn’t ask us to be them or do what they are doing and I firmly believe that in the everyday (where no one sees) our moments matter to God! He doesn’t want us to live anyone else’s testimony only the one He is calling us to. We are called to be faithful to HIM and yield to HIS will for our moments — not to what we see, think and hear of/from others and their lives. I’m off to live God’s call on my moments — but oh, how I need reminding of this — often!

• Reply Felecia C. November 11, 2014 at 8:43 am

Amen!!!! I love that piece about not living out someone else’s testimony that is so true and beautiful!

• Reply Lauren November 10, 2014 at 9:27 am

I opened this up this morning, and it was just what I needed. After of long day of prepping for Monday, and then waking up to a sick child, while still trying to get the other child dressed and ready for school, making drop offs to school, and grandma’s house and then still heading to work, I was on the verge of feeling defeated and wondering does anyone see what I am doing? Does anyone notice the sacrifices I make, the hard work I put in for my two boys, for my friends, and family, who the women I serve daily?

Then this….thank you for this timely reminder. God Sees! He notices, and He cares!

• Reply Danielle November 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hi Lauren! Oh, I feel you here! That “verge of feeling defeated and wondering does anyone see” was me this morning, too! But God – always sending His grace and love at just the right time, right?! Being a mom is one of God’s highest callings….I pray that He fills you and meets you where you are, raising those boys for Him! And also that you get some rest and sleep :) :) Blessings, sis!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 10, 2014 at 10:16 am

Lauren, I totally feel you too. That kind of morning can raise so much frustration. You’re trying to prep and plan and be ready for the week…and a sick child was nowhere in the plan! :) And in those moments, we start rehearsing other stresses and frustrations in our minds, and then there’s this big snowball and we’re feeling massively overwhelmed and under-appreciated. We have to constantly remind ourselves and encourage ourselves in the truth that God is right with us. It’s amazing how comforting it is to know simply that He SEES. Because we know if He sees, it does mean He cares. And it means He’s giving us grace, and will bless us as we live unto Him in all those “little” things. I’m so thankful that this spoke to you this morning. As Danielle said, be encouraged that what you’re doing as a mom to those two boys is indeed a high calling. God is with you every step of the way. Blessings to you, sis!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Lauren, I’m sending a prayer up for wonderous refreshing and joy from our great God for you. Your work is seen and valued, not as the world sees and values, but as the God who is might and wonderful and sovereign over all sees and values! God bless you big in His steps for you!

• Reply Tamara Davis November 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm

As I read your comment, I was convicted again because I found myself saying the same thing about a different situation. Thanks for that reminder that it’s not about us.

• Reply Danielle November 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

Oh, dear Kim….so on time! Isn’t that just like God?! Thank you for posting this today….like Lauren, I was heading into “one of those days” and my little guy wasn’t even sick, he was just being Jaden :)

Yes, especially as a mom (and wife to the crazy husband God joined me with!) I feel like much of what I do is unseen, unappreciated, or unnoticed. I get overwhelmed and tired….so tired!

I am often reminded of a passage from a book my mom’s bible study group read last year…Jill Savage wrote that “…we learn that our everyday activities, when done with a God-perspective, are an act of worship that really touches the heart of God.” That crosses my mind so often, and from my perspective NOW, I thank God all the time that He enabled me and allowed me to be there for Adanya in the middle of the night, and I treasure those sleepless and tumultuous nights now, and it definitely makes me pause and get through those times with Jaden now. God placed me right where He wanted, and somehow he’ll give me the tools to make it through another tired, stressed day because He is making my path smooth. It’s easy to get sucked into the day-to-day trials, but I AM able sometimes to get a graceful glimpse of the bigger picture, and I just want to serve God, even when it’s hard and I don’t understand.

It SO encourages me that He sees, and He knows, and He provides….as Tam said so well, honoring Him is enough, and the earthly payment of tiny cuddles and kisses don’t hurt :) I’m standing in faith that someday, in God’s time, He will open my husband’s eyes a little, too, and maybe I’ll get a hug from Bavin as well. For now, I serve only Him, and that is MORE than enough!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 10, 2014 at 10:37 am

Danielle, YES, that is SO like God! He is always on time, always knows what we needs. And we shouldn’t be surprised I guess because He SEES. :) What you said is so important for all of us to keep in mind…at the time when you were up with Adanya, those were tumultuous nights that surely left you tired and maybe even a little frustrated (ahem, maybe I’m speaking too much from my own perspective:)). And yet as you said, NOW you look back and are able to give thanks that you were there for her. That’s such a blessing, and I’m struck by how the Lord turns our perspective. That in turn, allows you to minister to Jaden in a whole different way. Of course, that doesn’t mean you don’t get overwhelmed or tired (we are still living in this flesh), but the Lord sends His grace on a bed of sweet memories.

My kiddos are 18 and 16, and I was just talking to my husband last night about how FAST the time has gone. I feel like it was literally yesterday that they were babies. :) I remember the nights when they wouldn’t go to sleep or threw a fit over this and that, and I thought I’d never be able to ever get another good night’s sleep. ;) And yet, knowing how quickly that season passed helps my perspective for the things that seem hard today. “…but I AM able sometimes to get a graceful glimpse of the bigger picture…” It truly is a GRACEFUL glimpse. Our Lord is so gracious and faithful…even in rewarding us those cuddles and kisses and heartfelt convos with teens and moments of laughter on hard days… Thank You, Lord, that You SEE and you love us. May each of us honor Him daily, and know that it is enough! (Standing in faith with you also for Bavin. xoxo)

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 10, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Danielle, you know I’m praying for you…and I’m giving thanks and praise to God for the insight and wisdom He is gracing you with. I pray for continued strength and growing joy “even when”. I’m praying that you sense His smiling and delighting over you. I pray for His continued working in your circumstances on many levels and in many ways. Love you! God bless you with an overwhelming sense of well being in Him!

Hugs!!

• Reply Tamara Davis November 10, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I am experiencing the peace that comes with honoring God and being obedient to Him–especially in the small things.

• Reply Olivia November 10, 2014 at 10:53 am

The message of this post is such a great reminder! For accountable reasons and for encouragement. More often than I would like do I get the sense that I am not doing enough and that my efforts are small. Then God will bring to my remembrance all of the actions and efforts he noticed, reminding me He sees and He knows. What a gift to be in relationship with Him who knows and sees all. Thanks Kim.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 10, 2014 at 11:19 am

Olivia, I love the way you said that…”What a gift to be in relationship with Him who knows and sees all.” Amen! It IS truly a gift, and it’s awesome when God reminds us what a gift it is. And you’re so right…the fact that He sees is good for encouragement but also for accountability. So thankful you stopped by, and thank you for sharing this!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 10, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Olivia, I’m echoing your words: “What a gift to be in relationship with Him who knows and sees all.” It’s beyond my understanding but I am so grateful!!!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 10, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Kim, this is a subject dear to my heart. Recently I’ve been thinking about this again (then again, it’s kind of always close to my heart and on my mind in one way or another). I was thinking that even those “internal doings” — choosing joy instead of bitterness, choosing to be kind and forgiving instead of lashing out, blessing others with a smile rather than a “pity me” look (and I’m not talking about being fake or putting on a mask, but being aware of our motives and such)…choosing to trust God, His purposes and motives “even though”…these are “works” that absolutely no one on this earth may see, recognize or discern for what they are — but God does and it matters. In fact, I was thinking, there are probably times that God is not the only one privy to these “secret” things (although I truly believe that would be more than enough and in fact is really the most important) — He probably lets the spirit world, the angels and demons observe and if THAT isn’t a testimony to His greatness and glory, when we “secretly and quietly” choose HIM over everything else, choose to let HIS SPIRIT work in us even though there will never be any applause or recognition. We can stand as testimony to our great and wonderful God even when there is no other human present or able to witness what is happening in any discernable way (they may “feel” the effects but not even realize it). And I’m thinking that it is no small to be observed in secret by those in the heavenlies and that the worship given our God by those who serve Him there must be beyond amazing! Just some “thinking” on the doing of secret things and such….

I think I would like to cross stitch this on a pillow: :)

Bless you. I thank you for the prayers you’ve offered up on my behalf that I don’t “see”. Hugs!!!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Debbie, YES, YES, YES…you are so right and have once again added the needed complement to the post. Those “internal doings” are absolutely “works” that ONLY God sees, and they do matter! In fact, there are times when the Holy Spirit has convicted me for seeking praise for my “internal doings”…something like, um, telling Bill that he should be glad I didn’t get upset about this or that (therefore implying I had reason to be upset) and instead chose the high road. :)) Methinks I lost my eternal reward in those instances. lol “We can stand as testimony to our great and wonderful God even when there is no other human present or able to witness what is happening in any discernable way”…I love that. Amen! I too believe that heavenly beings are watching, and that God is glorified when we choose to honor Him…whether within or without. What an encouragement to do what’s right, regardless (knowing God is always watching, but not only God…) Thanks so much for these wonderful nuggets, my sister. May God give us grace to glorify Him in the “internal doings” and thereby testify to His greatness and glory!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Kim…had to smile big (actually, I kinda giggled aloud) at the comment re: Bill. I have no idea, my sister, what you are talking about. (ahahahaha). :)

• Reply alli November 10, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Honestly sometimes it gets annoying when you think your work is in vain or no one notices rather no one cares. I struggle being a rather vocal person, obviously, when ppl don’t speak I’m like okay you must not care. So sometimes I stop working esp when it feels your contribution matters little

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm

That’s very real…it can get annoying. Our flesh is quick to say “I’m done” if we don’t sense gratitude or get any acknowledgement. I’ve always said that God has worked out so much in me through parenting (and also through being a wife, but more so through parenting) because you can’t really say, “I’m done.” ;) You learn long-suffering, and then you learn that others put up with your stuff just like you have to put up with others. And THEN you learn what it means to live as unto God, and that He sees even the injustices and will bless you for doing what’s right. It’s just another one of those Christian journey, lifelong growth type of things, as we are transformed into the likeness of Christ. Because we know how much He put up with on earth, and He’s God. What a praise.

• Reply Pamela M. November 10, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Good Evening. What a wonderful post. I push myself to give my Gram the best care I can. I have heard others say that I don’t have a life because of the burden of being a caregiver. Anyone who Truly knows me…understands that I don’t believe I am being shorted at all! My walk with the Lord has deepened and been strengthened – I am a slave of Christ, and willingly submit my life to do His will, and for now I am given the awesome duty of caring for my sweet Gram. Right this second Gram is sleeping, and has tucked my left arm under her blanket…and I am just as at peace as she is:) I thank the Lord for Gram. There are many tough moments, but I am fully committed to walking through this illness (Alzheimer’s) with her. To God be the Glory!!

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) November 10, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Oh Pamela…what a sweet sweet comment you’ve put up here. I am praying God showers you with infinite joy in Him as you yield to His plan for your ministry and as you grow deeply in Him. I can hear Christ in you, and your love from your Grandmother. It is beautiful! (P.S. I’m also sending up a prayer or two for your Grandma)

• Reply Pamela M. November 11, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thank you Sweetie. God Bless.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Pam, I have watched you post pictures of your grandmother as you’re loving on her and taking care of her…and it is so beautiful. You are a true testimony to what it means to lay down your life for another. I have NO doubt that your walk with the Lord has deepened and been strengthened. He’s loving your grandmother and caring for her through you, and in the process, He’s loving YOU and caring for YOU. You’re being blessed beyond measure in the process. I know it is not easy, but wow, the grace that is upon you is amazing to watch. To God be the glory indeed! Continued blessings, sis. You inspire me.

• Reply Tamara Davis November 12, 2014 at 6:43 am

So beautifully stated! How encouraging!

• Reply Felecia C. November 11, 2014 at 8:40 am

Good morning Kim and my lovely blog sisters out there!
    I have had times in the past where I felt whatever I did was small and unseen. I felt like there was not point and that I was not important. I failed to realize that first of all I always have an audience of one and that this audience of one is all I need. I am very tempted to compare myself to what others are doing because I want to be used and seen as they are. I really find it encouraging that God sees me and that he cares for me! I am not unknown or forgotten and though it is easy to forget I am glad he so tenderly reminds me. I so deeply want God to consume me and use me! I am tired of life as usual and want to be continuously hot and on fire for God. I want to reach a place of being sick of me in the sense that I let go of my concerns and holdfast to the truths and promises of God! I know that is a tall order but with one say at a time I can and you my sweet dear sister can reach whatever goal you so desire! We all can find that sweet spot of assurance in our father care! Well that is all I love you all out there and I’ll leave you all with this verse….”Then I pray to you, O LORD. I say, ‘You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life.'” Psalm 142:5 (NLT)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 11, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Felecia, I LOVE the way you put it…”I always have an audience of one…” Amen! And yes, what more do we need! We have been so brainwashed in our culture to think we need more. And even the people we compare ourselves to…their lives are never what we think, and THEY want more. It’s an endless cycle. So we might as well jump off the merry-go-round and enjoy our audience of ONE. There’s so much contentment in that. Praise God that your heart’s desire is to be on fire for God. May He meet you in a glorious way and lead you to that place of holding fast to His truths and promises. It might be a tall order for us, but all things are possible with Him! Love you too, sis. Blessings to you!

• Reply Tamara Davis November 12, 2014 at 6:47 am

I like that scripture! “An audience as one”–that is a perfect reminder of who we are really here to please. I continue to learn that putting off “me” and taking on Him is sometimes a minute by minute process.

• Reply NON-Superwoman November 11, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I love that God sees..and knows! Thank you for this post.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate November 14, 2014 at 8:01 am

Amen! Thank you, sis, for stopping by. Your smiling face is always a blessing to me. <3

• Reply Pam C. November 18, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Needed to find peace this evening. God brought me to your post Kim!!! You stated, “I remember the nights when they wouldn’t go to sleep or threw a fit over this and that, and I thought I’d never be able to ever get another good night’s sleep. ;) And yet, knowing how quickly that season passed helps my perspective for the things that seem hard today. “

You know I am in this season. Thanks for the reassurance as always. (hug)