The Armor of God (Ephesians – Week 11)

Can you believe it?  We’ve reached the end of Ephesians.  At the beginning of the study, I shared that this book has held a special place in my heart for years.  That has only deepened over the last several weeks as I’ve not only meditated anew on this book, but also discussed so many passages with you all.  What a blessing it’s been!  This blog community especially caused me to appreciate more deeply the “body life” that’s such a focus of Ephesians.

In this last week, the focus is spiritual warfare.  It’s no surprise that with all that we have in Christ—and all that we are in Christ—we have an enemy who is scheming against us.  We need to know how to stand firm in the Lord’s strength.  The video is here.

If you didn’t have a chance to walk through Ephesians with us, the videos can be accessed on YouTube any time.  If you did, I pray the study blessed you in a very real way—and that the Holy Spirit will continue to impress upon your heart and mind the precious truths found in this book.

But we’re not done just yet!  I’m looking forward to more discussion, whether about this week or the study as a whole.

13 Responses to “The Armor of God (Ephesians – Week 11)”

1. Danielle says:

Hi everyone! I know I have been MIA…..I am exhausted, and have not kept up with the study despite my best intentions, but I am here! :) I haven’t done the study yet, so I will be back to post, just wanted to say HEY to all Blog Fam and that I’ve missed all of you!!!!!

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Danielle, So glad to “hear” you. I’ve been missing you and hoping all is well…more than that I’ve prayed for you! I hope you get feeling better soon and your energy increases. I’ll keep praying!!! Miss you!

Hey Danielle! You’ve truly been missed! I knew you were busy and hoped you’d get a chance to pop in…and here you are. :) As Debbie said, good to “hear” your voice. Praying abundant refreshment! Looking forward to hearing more of what’s happening with you, girl. :) Always love to hear how God is at work in and through you!

2. Tamara Davis says:

Hello family! Along with week 8, this has to be my favorite! You so beautifully and eloquently explained the armor of God. This lesson took me about 35-40 minutes to get through because I kept stopping and making notes. I even drew a stick figure of me holding up this big shield with “faith” written on it. I drew myself really little to emphasis my protection is the shield of faith. Then I drew arrows with the words you mentioned in the study coming at the shield. It was a visual reminder of how powerful my faith is. But guess what also the Lord drew out of this and pointed out to me? I was stoked when He showed me. All the pieces of armor are used to PROTECT, except for one. The one piece used to FIGHT is the WORD! OMGoodness! I was like “God, I never saw that!” So my protection is truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation and prayer. My battle weapon is the WORD. They are all used in the war but I only fight with one–the WORD! Glory to God! THAT. WAS. GOOD. TO. ME!

Another little nugget that jumped off the page to me was when you had us read 1 Kings 18:46. I read a little further down about Elijah when he fell asleep and the angel of the Lord woke him up twice to feed him. It was the second time that He woke him up and said “vs 7 And the angel of the Lord came back the second time, and touched him, and said, “Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you.” (I Kings 19:7). Immediately, I thought about how the Word is also spiritual food. The Lord spoke to my heart and let me know that He will not send us out there spiritually malnourished. He knows how much food is required to sustain us for our spiritual journey. That richly blessed me this morning! Last night and part of this morning, I was lamenting about another 30 day instruction the Lord has given me. The last time He gave me a 30 day instruction, it yield some MAJOR spiritual fruit. (In the middle of the night, He told me “don’t put your eyes on anything but the Word for 30 days.”) I was telling Him how stuck I felt and how discouraged I was in my walk and now this instruction. I mean I wrote a whole two pages about what’s going on inside of me. So, being the God that He is, He let my eyes fall on that one sentence and gave me “right now” revelation about it. I’ve been spiritually asleep, apparently, so now it’s time to arise and eat because my journey has need of it!

Kim, I was so richly blessed by this series. I pray that God replenishes all that you poured out to us. I am thankful that He had You put this on YouTube so we can go back and look at them over and over. There is no expiration date on the Word! I can only imagine how the Hot Pursuit series would’ve been on YouTube. Thank you again and I hope the other ladies realize that they can go back and do the series at any time. The enemy wants us to think that because we “fall off”, we can join in later. To the other folks that think they are behind, come on in! The water’s fine. :)

Hey Tamara! I’m so glad this is a favorite week for you! You are serious about your studies…taking notes, drawing stick figures…I love it! You’re really making these truths your own. You’ll never forget that picture of little ol’ you with a big shield with “faith” written on it and arrows coming at it. You will indeed remember how powerful your faith is. And I was totally loving this and totally kicking myself…”The one piece used to FIGHT is the WORD!” I meant to say that in the video! LOL But I love it because praise God, HE gave that to you…which means again, that you will ALWAYS remember that because THAT. WAS. GOOD. TO. YOU! Yes, glory to God! And I’m praising Him as well for encouraging you to intake the Word as your necessary food. YES! It truly is. We cannot thrive without it. It is LIFE to us; we need it daily. I love that the Lord used that First Kings reference to speak that to your heart.

So thankful for you, Tamara, and your insights and encouragement throughout this series. You’ve been such a blessing! Your enthusiasm is water to the soul. And I hadn’t thought about it, but In Hot Pursuit would’ve been really something in video form. :) Whew…I’m remember that one lesson about sin and what not…:) I know the Lord will continue to open your eyes to glorious truths in His Word. We are still IN HOT PURSUIT! :)

• Tamara Davis says:

Kim, one prayer that I prayed for myself was that I stay teachable. This thought occurred to me one day “The day you think you know it all is the day you start dying.” I love learning and I love learning about the Word. I wasn’t always that way though. I used to feel intimidated by the Word because I tried to “get it on my own”. It wasn’t until I humbled myself and asked the Holy Spirit to help me that I slowed down enough to really let the Lord teach me. And, I did this recently! LOL My pastor has a saying when it comes to the Word — get all you can and can all you get. I may not need a particular Word at the moment, but somewhere at some point, I’ll need it.

Looking forward to next week! It was good “seeing” you every week. I am going to miss the videos.

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Tamara…isn’t His Word awesome. I know, I hear how you love it. I am praying you enjoy your 30 special days!!! “He knows how much food is required to sustain us for our spiritual journey.” That was good! And He knows just which morsels we need too!

Bless you!

3. Deborah (Debbie) says:

Hello Kim & Blog Sisters

I’m late to the party :) Actually I watched the video and did my notes right away on Monday but it’s been a blur since then…

I find this whole subject of Spiritual warfare to be so practical and essential to the dailiness of life and living in abundance and fullness in Christ. Its all about Christ, all about God, His word and His work in and through us. We are best not just putting our armour on, but not taking it off! This extended metaphor is all about God, (I seem to say that a lot. Hmmm….) His truth and living in that truth. Believing it and standing firm on it and in it at all times.

And yes, my oh my, does Satan ever intelligently and specifically study us and plan his strategy of attack accordingly and precisely. Megan first helped me see the whole intentionally strategic thing when we were looking at a study on warfare awhile ago. She pointed out that the words for “schemes” had to do with methods and planning. It was an eye opener to me and got me thinking….One thing I think is I’d best be praying that God will begin to reveal to me what I am believing, how I am thinking and where my responses and choices in life come from and how that lines up with His word and truth. And then I need to begin to turn those over to God renewing my mind in those areas and STOP giving the enemy room to plan and work.

I love that God has given us all we need for the life of Godliness, for the life of abundance and His provision is powerful and effective.

You know, there is a lot of stuff out there about spiritual warfare and in my life I’ve seen some pretty spectacular stuff that the enemy has tried to use to glorify himself, but God keeps impressing on me to remember that HE…GOD…is greater. HE is god. HE deserves the worship — NOT the enemy. While I am to take seriously the enemy and there is a level of awareness and “respect” for his power and work…He is not to be my focus. GOD is. Satan doesn’t care how he gets glory, he just wants the glory and doesn’t want God getting it.

God’s also been making me aware that this whole spiritual warfare thing? Well, I am often helping the evil one. My flesh is encouraged and enticed to cooperate with the plans and schemes of the evil one. They seem pretty o.k. sometimes and even wise (please go back and see the word “SEEM”). But that sinful flesh is defeated by God’s truth, too. And then there’s the world which promotes all of the lies of its prince and uses the strategy of deception its learned from him but the Holy Spirit uses God’s truth to expose those lies and reveals the deception and points us to THE Truth (and equips us with the full armour).

Something else God has been impressing on me is that we don’t have to fear the war or the enemy. The battle is the LORD’s. (2 Chronicles 20:15) We need to trust our God and stand firm even in the heat of battle…if it looks like defeat inevitable, don’t believe it!!! Trust God and His word, hold up the shield, your shoes are solid and planted, they won’t fail you, keep the belt securely in place, make sure the helmet is centred, wear the breastplate with confidence in God’s way and His work, wield that sword with deadly and life saving accuracy and enjoy HIS victory!!! Because as we stand through the work and power and equipping of the Holy Spirit, we will see His victory and shout “Hallelujah…Yippeeeee!!!!”

Be strong and blessed in the LORD, Sister warriors.
    We have a God who is greater!!!

Thank you Kim for all your ministry here in the study. I’ve loved it. What an equipping and encouragement its been.
    I can’t tell you how grateful I am.

Hugs

• Tamara Davis says:

During our cooperate fast this month, the theme is deliverance. We are reading scriptures that deal with the delivering people, namely the children of Israel. I have been radically blessed and encouraged to see the how many different people God used to deliver others, especially when they “went in the name of the Lord”! All they had to do was show up and be obedient to what He told them to do and they got the victory every time.

Good Morning Debbie!! (Now I’m the one who’s late…had a full weekend, including an out-of-town trip…I know what you mean about the blur. :)) I find this subject incredibly practical and DAILY as well…and yes, all about God! (You could say it a thousand times, as far as I’m concerned!) “We are best not just putting our armour on, but not taking it off!” Amen! And when you think about it, why would we want to take off truth, righteousness, faith, and so on. When we focus on what the armor is about, we better understand the need to wear it daily, to pursue holiness and righteousness, and to stay in His Word…all by the grace of God.

I also love the practicality aspect regarding “schemes”…praying for God to reveal what you’re believing, where your choices and responses come from, and how that lines up with His Word. I think one of the enemy’s schemes is wanting us to believe he’s only in the *really awful* things that happen to us in life. Actually, he IS in the way we think about things, the choices we make, etc. and when he can keep us from renewing our minds, his schemes are playing out to his satisfaction. I’ll repeat it for you :) it’s all about God. When we keep focused on Him, growing in Him, walking by the Spirit…we are staying STRONG in Him! I’m with you TOTALLY on not giving special focus to the enemy, but keeping the focus on the LORD, looking to HIM. He is all the focus we need, and what a majestic gaze He is for us!

You hit on something else that could be an entire series in itself…the work of our sinful flesh. That’s a major war that happens every single day…our flesh rising up against the Spirit. And yes, throw the world into the mix and I wonder how we ever think we can make it a single minute without the Lord. But what a praise!…”The battle is the LORD’s.” I’m so thankful that it is! So thankful that we don’t have to fear. So thankful that He equips us with EVERYTHING we need!

Thank *you* Debbie, for blessing us each and every week in this study with your enthusiasm for the Lord, your insight and encouragement, and your wisdom. I am grateful for your presence here and the way you point us to God always.

Hugs to you too, Sister warrior! xoxo

4. Deon A says:

Hello Kim and fellow blog sisters

I’ve enjoyed every moment of this series. I will never look at the book of Ephesians the same way again.
    Thank you for explaining the armor of God so beautifully and eloquently.
    I am always awed by God and his bountiful provision toward us his children. Every time I read the word of God or get together and discuss the word, I can’t help but just be overwhelmed by HIS love towards us. We have everything we need to live a victorious life in Christ Jesus and all we have to do is Read HIS WORD and believe in it (HAVE FAITH).
    2 Peter 1:3
    His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

Isn’t it funny that as believers these are the two areas we mainly struggle with?we know there is a God and that he loves us and cares for us. Yet, I believe the areas we struggle in is to get into the word and maintain confidence in what we read. God treasures (his promises) are “hidden” in his word. And once we get into the word we often struggle to believe that his promises are true and that we are partakes of such promises. The enemy is very subtle indeed!

So I’m thankful today for the hunger that God is rising up in the hearts of his children, especially those who are apart of this blog community to know him more and to feast on his word. That we are asking God as the psalmist did in Psalms 119:18
    “Open my eyes, that I may behold
    wondrous things out of your law.”
    What a blessing!

In the area of faith, I’m always encouraged when I read Hebrews chapter 11. As it gives the account of all the men as women of old who believed God though they did not live to see the manifestation of the promises. And then the writer continues in chapter 12 of Hebrews verse 1 with one of my favorite verses of all time. Hebrews 12:1
    “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,”.
    In other words we can do it bc we have their accounts from the word and also the spirit go God dwelling in us! What a provision! How awesome it is to know that God is faithful and he is with us through all and in all!

Thanking God for you Kim and your ministry and for your obedience to teach the word in season and out of season. May the eyes of our heart continue to be enlightened in order that we may know the hope to which he has called us, and what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints. Amen!

Blessings
    Deon

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Deon, Thank you for this. It was such an encouragement to me. And I echo your thanks to Kim. May God bless her real good in her faithfulness!. Lifting you up in prayer. Grateful that our God is making you strong and encouraging you through His word. Bless you sister!

Hello Deon! I began smiling and nodding as I read your comment (as always :)) because I share your awe of God! I too am overwhelmed by the fact that He provides for us bountifully. YES, everything we need…He’s given! It’s amazing to me that part of our victory lies on the other side of reading His Word. It’s no wonder the enemy works so hard to keep us from it. I remember reading a statistic once that only about 10% of Christians regularly read their Bible. It’s almost tragic, given that there’s LIFE in those pages…what we NEED is in those pages. I praise God that He’s given us living and active words to feast on. I praise Him for the faith He gives us to believe it too! That’s definitely another struggle we have as believers, as you pointed out. “Help my unbelief” is a prayer I’ve prayed many times.

I join you in giving thanks to God for giving us a hunger. I don’t take it for granted. It’s only by His grace, and I pray to remain hungry…even desperate :) for Him and His Word. And amen to this–>”In other words we can do it bc we have their accounts from the word and also the spirit of God dwelling in us!” I love that faith chapter in Hebrews too, and love, love Hebrews 12:1-2. We truly do have a treasure in these pages, one that we can continue to mine for the rest of our lives and be immensely blessed.

Deon, I’ve been so blessed by your sisterhood on the blog, your love for the Word, your desire to grow, and the wisdom you’ve shared…and your prayers too! :) Thank you for being on this journey with us…it wouldn’t have been the same without you. May you continue to abound in His love and grace. Many blessings to you!