His Workmanship (Ephesians – Week 6)

In this week’s lesson in Ephesians, we get to one of my favorite verses—Ephesians 2:10.  In fact, I consider this one of my life verses.  Knowing that I’m God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance . . . blows me away.  It gives me purpose.  Focus.  And it helps me trust that I can look to God and rely on God to direct me in the way He wants me to go.

But there’s much more in this lesson as well!  We’re actually covering the rest of chapter two, which contains important truths about the body of Christ.  You can find the video here.

As always, a highlight of the study is reading your comments and witnessing the way God uses you as you interact with and encourage one another.  I pray that He meets us in a special way this week and plants His Word firmly in our hearts and minds.  He is faithful!

25 Responses to “His Workmanship (Ephesians – Week 6)”

1. Deborah (Debbie) says:

Bless you today, Kim… Oh boy, there is nothing like the Word of God, like the truth of Him. And what an awesome and wondrous privilege and gift that He would give His Word and understanding of it to us. And add to that a LOVE of that Word…He is GOOD!!! My prayer is that my blog sisters here and those I love would grow in a passion for His Word and His truth and that it would be energized by the Holy Spirit in their lives in such a way that the Holy Adventure of loving Him and living in Him would consume them. ME TOO, by the way :)

And now…today’s lesson. Its a goody :) There is sooo much here and my sister, I think by God’s grace you have done an excellent job of handling His Word and what an encouragement it has been to hear this lesson.

We are ONE!!! Yay. WE ARE HIS…we are BROUGHT NEAR…to be included together with His people, Israel, all of us BECAUSE HE LOVES US and has made us HIS through the BLOOD and WORK of CHRIST JESUS, oh my. What an honor, what a gift, what head shaker. HIS!!! TOGETHER!!! Because of HIM!

His workmanship…we are transformed and are being transformed into the beauty of Christ in us and Satan’s deceptive hiss is that whatever pain and difficulties God uses to bring about the beauty is not worth it. HA! Liar!!! It is only in Christ and the work He does in our life that we know what it is to know true joy, true beauty, true satisfaction, true peace, true LIFE. NOTHING God asks us to submit to to be transformed is incidental, unnecessary, or gratuitous …our God is very purposeful, very careful, thoughtful and intentional in whatever He allows to touch our life and because He is a loving, good, all wise and all powerful God it is ALWAYS BEST and serves His purpose. We can trust Him because He is our hope and our salvation and He is FAITHFUL. We are and are becoming a thing of beauty that shines for Him, Sisters!

Walking in the good works, God prepared in advance for us to do…I just want to repeat everything you said….I think I quoted it all in my journal and kept saying “YES!” “YESSSS!!!!” It is an incredibly freeing thing to give yourself over to “walking in” the good works “God created in advance for me to do”…and its probably a lot less strategized than I sometime think. I don’t have to cast my eyes very far or move my foot much to walk in those works — prayer, smiles, kind words, dishes (yes, I said dishes)…I think there are a lot of mundane, daily living things that God looks at and sees as the work He put before us to do and as we let the character of Christ and the work of the Spirit flow in us, as we let God transform our hearts and we give ourselves to these things by faith, trusting Him to use them and work in them as He sees fit, we will find ourselves living in the middle of those verses and delighting the heart of our God. (EVEN IF no one else recognizes them as “good works”) (That’s not to say that there won’t be things that appear less mundane or that there won’t be “formal things” God calls us to do, but there is something amazing in thinking about the fact that where we set our foot probably gives opportunity to minister God’s grace and glorify Him even in ways we don’t realize or understand.)

Oh my… how exciting is God’s word and the path He has set us on and that you are being used to point out to us. I just want to affirm what has been noted by you and others here that there is something very special that goes on here in this blog in the building up and encouragement we receive from one another here. I value all of you wonderful women!

I cherish this study of His word…got to go find my pom poms again :)

I pray that His heart in us would mark us!

My sister Debbie, I love your heart for God and His Word, and I deeply echo your sentiment that we would all “grow in a passion for His Word and His truth and that it would be energized by the Holy Spirit in their lives in such a way that the Holy Adventure of loving Him and living in Him would consume them”…AMEN!

Looovvve your comments here…as always. And as always, I’m tempted to cut and paste ALL. But THIS…”NOTHING God asks us to submit to to be transformed is incidental, unnecessary, or gratuitous …our God is very purposeful, very careful, thoughtful and intentional…” YES, He IS! I love that He has an intentional plan for each of us, and how He will transform us. We may gripe and wince and cry out for the easier road, but He knows what it will take to mold and shape us to be more like His Son. And though we may not understand the SITUATION (and the situation itself may not be good), I love that we can trust HIM and know that He will work it for good and use it to transform us. “We are and are becoming a thing of beauty that shines for Him, Sisters!”…that’s a truth to cling to, come what may!

And oh, Debbie, how I love, love, love THIS…”I don’t have to cast my eyes very far or move my foot much to walk in those works — prayer, smiles, kind words, dishes (yes, I said dishes)…I think there are a lot of mundane, daily living things that God looks at and sees as the work He put before us to do…” You always say the things I wish I’d said. :D I can’t say enough Amen’s on that one! I think too often we look for the “deep” things or the “dreamy” things that we’re “called” to do…when it really mostly is the day-to-day things. YES, the dishes! :) God does a lot of refining through housework. :) What’s our attitude as we’re serving our family? Are we displaying joy in the mundane? Have to cut and paste again!…”…where we set our foot probably gives opportunity to minister God’s grace and glorify Him even in ways we don’t realize or understand”…this is so true and so important to “get.” So often the enemy tries to make us discontent with where we’re setting our foot…and yet, God is waiting to use us there. Lord, help us to see the good works you have for us, even in places we might not want to be!

Thank you, Debbie, for making this a very special place with your very special wisdom that comes from above. In case you didn’t know, what you do here is a wonderfully good work! :)

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Ahhh, my Sister, how God uses these words of yours to me and the blessing in them to encourage and confirm and bless. Thank you for your encouragement.

His Word is wonderful, isn’t it!!!

• MrsTrip98 says:

Once again, Debbie, you said so, so, so much that made my heart smile. Of all the beautiful comments, I think this one: “His workmanship…we are transformed and are being transformed into the beauty of Christ…” Because I am on this 50-Day Transformation journey, these particular words of yours just fed my spirit. Thank you, sis!

2. Deborah (Debbie) says:

p.s. oh my..I didn’t mean to write a book :)

3. Tamara D.Davis says:

Good evening! Once again, I enjoyed the study! To answer your questions about being shaped and molded—er uh NO! LOL I know it is absolutely necessary to submit to the molding. Like you said, it can be painful but He is working in us. There have been times when I’ve prayed for help and the desire to submit. He’s continually molding, pruning, & crafting. After this study, I see now that His workmanship is not to be taken lightly. Christ’s death did a lot for us on that cross. My eyes are being opened more and more throughout this study. So rich, so rich.

• Tamara Davis says:

Kim, I also like how you give us other scriptures to go read. I stop the video and go read them. You teach just like my Pastor teaches and I am thoroughly having a good time with this study. Now, when I read prophecies spoken over and things that Lord has told me about my life, I read them with a whole new understanding. I am “in Him” so now things are making sense! In Him, we are unstoppable.

Aww, praise God, Tamara! I’m SO thankful that you’re having a good time with this study. You have such a hunger for God and a hunger to grow in truth…I love it. May the Lord continue to plant you firmly in His Word. There is such an immense joy in walking in TRUTH! :)

Hey Tamara! LOL…love your honesty! I know…it’s hard to *want* to submit to the shaping, molding, and pruning. And trust me, I catch myself complaining inside. But wow, when I look back and see what He’s produced through the pruning, it strengthens my faith. I’m so thankful that He only desires our good, and that He gives us grace when the pruning gets hard. It’s really amazing that God desires that we submit to molding, shaping, and pruning, and then gives us grace to do so…what a God we serve!

Amen…Jesus did A LOT for us on the cross. I am forever thankful for His sacrifice for our sins. When I think about the cross and Jesus dying for us, how can I not die to self and submit to God’s work in me? His work is like none other!

• Tamara Davis says:

You know what I am learning a lot about during this season of pruning? Pride and humility. I think I’ve shared this before but I am watching the scripture “He resists the proud but gives grace to the humble” come to life in my life. I’m living it in real time! When I submit to the pruning, the grace comes flying in to help me deal with and handle whatever is going on. God shows up immediately!!! And the blessing is that I thought I was helping someone else but God is also helping heal. It’s all a part of being “in Him”. I am learning that when we are “in Him”, there are certain things that can’t remain “in us.”

4. Nichole Christian says:

Welcome back, Kim.

I hope your trip was renewing in every way. I can only imagine how awesome it must have been walk on Holy ground. One day.

I should just come right out with a confession: When you asked, a few weeks back, that we circle each instance of “in Christ” and “through Christ,” I thought it was just a way to keep us engaged.

What a difference three weeks makes. I get the weight of those words now. It’s as if you were giving a secret key to a great mystery Understand this and all else falls into place.

It was the combination of last week’s focus on the difference between being dead or alive (not easy question for me ) and the awesome way you brought home this week’s point of being God’s workmanship. I feel like Dorothy once she reached OZ. God’s grace is our OZ, with a completely accessible doorway ,and tucked in plain sight via “in Christ,” and “through Christ” and “with Him.” The never ending search for self being and ends right there.

To more mature Christians,this analogy may sound overly simplistic and even wacky. I’m not even sure I understand why it popped to mind other than as a way to capture the burst of joy and relief I feel from knowing that my search is finally over. Insert heel click here. I’m home.

And everyday I can feel God rearranging my heart and my thoughts, top to bottom, so that I know His home is a place of peace.

p.s: I’ve decided to honor Lent for the first time in my life. Never even gave it a fleeting thought before.Thanks so much Kim for serving up God’s word in way that continues to encourage me to dig deeper, trust more and live boldly.

Ever grateful,
    Nichole

Hi Nichole! Thanks for the welcome back!

I’m smiling at the confession. :) I love it. Love your honesty and love that you now “get” what I was saying or rather, why I was saying it. Only the Lord can give you that understanding. I can’t count the number of times I’ve “heard” something from or about the Word of God, and it didn’t resonate right away. But when the Spirit causes it to resonate, it resonates. And it’s like, “Ohhhh!” :)

I love the OZ analogy too. “Insert heel click here. I’m home”…ahhhh. Amen to “The never ending search for self being and ends right here”….YES! “In Christ,” we are HOME! In Christ, we belong. In Christ, we have meaning. In Christ, we have rest. And on and on. And yes, like OZ, we have a completely accessible doorway. Everything is unlocked to us. So awesome that you have a burst of joy and relief, and that God has given you vivid imagery with which to own it and express it.

May the Lord continue to wonderfully rearrange your heart and your thoughts as He fills you to all fullness in Him. We can see the beauty of His work in you!

5. alli says:

Thats great news. Im learning what works are for me, bc im pretty used to working out everyone elses plan. Still trying to figure it out

Sis, we’ll go crazy trying to work everyone else’s plan. Let GOD do the work in you and through you, as only He can. He’s a master Workman! :)

6. MrsTrip98 says:

Hi Kim,

Our pastor is leading the church in a “50-Day-Transformation”. This is a study with Rick Warren. The overarching theme/verse is “Be not conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind” Romans 12:2. Over the course of seven weeks, those of us who choose, will work on seven areas of our lives. The first focus was spiritual health. Boy oh boy how it ties in to Ephesians! I was reminded and even referenced some of your teaching in our group discussion Tuesday evening. And then to read the daily devotion this morning with a key verse (2 Corinthians 5:17)that you also mentioned in the lesson you taught…All I can say is wow!!! God showed it to me twice within a matter of minutes.

Actually, I could say more. Thank God for revealing this spiritual truths so that I can not only submit to his workmanship but that I can “make the rest of my life the best of my life.”

• Tamara Davis says:

Embrace the new you!

• Deon A says:

MrsTrip98
      I love you final statement “submitting so that the rest of your life can be the best of your life” what a magnificent statement!
      Praying that God will honor his word in your life by filling you up to the overflow, with his wisdom, truth and grace.

Psalm 107: 9 “For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.”(ESV)

• MrsTrip98 says:

Wow Deon! What a beautiful Psalm to pair with my daily devotion!! I will meditate on that one during my devotional time. Thanks for your prayers :)

Sis, this sounds awesome…to work with purpose on targeted areas of your lives, with a view to being transformed! I love Romans 12:2…there’s SO much there. And when we look to God, it’s amazing how He opens our eyes to ways in which we’re conformed to the world. And sometimes He has to re-renew my mind to areas I thought I was renewed in! :) What a blessing that that study ties in well with this one. I love how God does that. When truth is reinforced from different directions (and wow, within a matter of minutes sometimes! :)), it goes that much deeper within.

I’m excited for this journey you’re on! I pray that God continues to reveal His Word in profound ways to you, and that you will behold with awe the depth of His work in your heart and soul as you’re transformed from glory to glory.

• MrsTrip98 says:

Yes Kim,

I am finding the “re-renew” especially applicable to me. When I reflect on the past few months, I can see just how much I have grown spiritually, emotionally, and physically through each study. The core of your teaching, God’s word, keeps me needing more of his presence, guidance, and peace. Desperation, right? I am so grateful that I can see direct connections from the study of Ephesians to the transformation study series…thankful for you and this beautiful community :)

7. Brenda says:

Kim,

I’m truly enjoying this study. God’s timing and orchestration of things in our lives always blows me away.

I’m learning God allows our circumstances to mold, shape us into His image that He’s created us in instead of living in frustration in them. In those circumstances we should ask ourselves as you asked – “do I want to submit to the potter, die to self, etc”? We know yes is not an easy answer but to get over ourselves and bring Him glory it’s the right answer. Our circumstances bring many issues to the surface that aren’t pretty. In the past I used to let them get me down but now try to let them serve their purpose – to draw me closer to Him. He loves me so much that He allows certain things to shape me.

His word is key and that’s why I’m thankful for this study as a way to receive it along with the others.

Brenda, your maturity in the Lord is so refreshing and encouraging…it truly blesses me. You’ve been honest about the fact that this is a challenging time for you, and yet it’s so obvious that you’re growing IN the difficult circumstance. “I’m learning God allows our circumstances to mold, shape us into His image that He’s created us in instead of living in frustration in them”…that by itself is HUGE! That realization moves you to a place of trust. We’re able to endure and have faith when we know that we’re not mere victims to a circumstance…but rather, God is WORKING in the circumstance. You’re so right that circumstances bring forth issues that aren’t pretty. And certainly, even knowing that God is working can bring forth those same issues…but we’re able to move past them. We can give those issues to God and ask Him to help us to trust Him. Prayer is such a big part of all of this.

I so love what you share here, Brenda. Thank you for allowing God to use you to encourage us as we journey through this study together. So thankful for you!