Exceeding Abundant (Ephesians – Week 7)

We’re doing it.  We’re actually moving through the book. :-)  This week we’re covering all of chapter three of Ephesians.  You probably already know the most popular verse in this chapter, maybe in the entire book—Ephesians 3:20.

The exceeding abundant verse.

And it’s indeed a powerful verse.  (The NASB says, “far more abundantly.”)  I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts about it after the video. :-)  But as you’ll see, there’s so much more to this chapter than that one verse!  I love Ephesians.  And I can’t wait until we move into chapter four next week, when the book turns very practical.

The video link is here.

I’m so encouraged by what God is doing in you as we progress through this study.  I do believe He’s doing beyond what we could ask or think!

27 Responses to “Exceeding Abundant (Ephesians – Week 7)”

1. Hello Blog Family,

I have not commented on the last few videos but I have watched every single one and read just about all the comments on each one and I am grateful. Thank you, Kim, as always for your labor of love and that goes for this week too.

Two areas stood out for me in your study: our responsibility to steward God’s grace and our responsibility to position ourselves to receive God’s exceeding abundance. You struck me with your exposition of stewarding God’s grace because I have been challenged greatly in this area. For the last seven months we have a family–some close friends– living in our home. As far as we know this is a temporary situation but the time frame is indefinite. Let me tell you that NOTHING has challenged me like this to steward well God’s grace and NOTHING has strengthened me in my inner being like this arrangement has.

There is no retreat home when conflict arises; you are home. You can’t decide not to talk to them for a few days; that would be inhospitable, just downright rude. All 10 of us–children included–have grown from our arrangement. I would not have chosen this method, but I am so grateful that we initially said yes to extend God’s grace to our friends, and I am daily grateful that our arrangement was God’s plan to mature me. Truly, this has been grace boot camp, but the benefits are so evident. We are appreciative.

Too often we want to claim God’s promises but not claim His commands to obey. This is what I believe you want us to get (or at least this is what I got) with the famous v. 20. It’s not practical to claim God’s exceeding abundance in our lives if we are quenching the Holy Spirit and instead doing what we want to do. When we do what we want it’s like we’re shunning God’s power but expecting it all the same. Lord help us, help ME. Thank you, Kim, for your gentle, yet direct, admonishments about how to apply the Word of God to our lives.

Rhonda, what a praise that you said yes to extend God’s grace to your friends. I know it wasn’t an easy decision. And as you indicate, the day-to-day is challenging, especially when the time frame is indefinite, and you’re already seven months in. The flesh finds all kinds of reasons to rise up in those situations (well, mine at least…I’m just being real). BUT GOD! His grace is amazing! And the way you’re stewarding His grace is amazing…”grace boot camp”…I love that. :) I know we haven’t gotten to chapter four, but that’s what I’m reminded of right now. You’re truly walking worthy of your calling. I praise God for you, sis. And I rejoice in the ways you’re being built up in your inner being as a result of this. May the Lord bless you richly for being a blessing!

And you captured my thoughts precisely with v. 20! “It’s not practical to claim God’s exceeding abundance in our lives if we are quenching the Holy Spirit and instead doing what we want to do”…exactly. We love that verse and automatically want to claim it, without realizing that something is required of us. We’re already blessed with every spiritual blessing. But the fullness of His power comes when we’re yielded to His Spirit. Also, I wonder if we truly want to experience the fullness of His power…if He means for that power to be used, let’s say, to open our homes with glad hearts for an indefinite period to friends. Hmm… This challenges me as well to think about. I so appreciate your post. Thank *you* for showing us an example of a life yielded to the Spirit.

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

YES! Here’s what I’m thinking…the whole area of submission to the Spirit and to God’s direction and will…getting our mind around the fact that this good good good God of ours is not offering a stone for bread or a serpent for fish (Matthew 7:9-11) but rather that He desires to be glorified in it all (and that is GOOD) and that He is at work to do us good — he dosen’t need to change what He’s doing we need to change our understanding and submit and REJOICE…yes in all things because of who HE IS and the power that is at work in us to do His good work in and through us. Soooo….I need to rest in His truth and live according to it and heed His will and WATCH HIM WORK. Can’t do His work according to the power of my flesh, or the worlds teachings, or the enemies lies…but only as He works according to (in conformity to ) His power…as I submitt to Him to do so (although circular arguments are generally considered logical fallacies…I say the truth is what it is even when it seems to be a circular argument).

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Rhonda…just let me say…”Oh my” and “I’m praying.” Be blessed in this (no really, may God just pour out the blessings — and some of those blessings may be realized down the road after this is all said and done…I’m praying you see HIM through all of this!

2. Deborah (Debbie) says:

Hellooo Kim….Wow. This was so exciting for me…

I wrote a whole comment and then thought, I need to think about this some more so I am not rambling…I just want to process what is exciting me and get it kind of “clear” in my mind. It’s not “new” just “fresh”…you know????

So, I’m going to come back with what I think my heart is hearing….

See ya’ later (soon)….

Hellooo Debbie! My first thought was that whenever you think you’re rambling, it’s actually a flow of wisdom with nuggets for each of us to glean from… But okay, I guess we’ll have to wait. :) See ya when you get back!

• MrsTrip98 says:

You know I am scrolling and searching for that comment Debbie :)

3. Tamara Davis says:

Hi family!!! I haven’t finished watching the video yet but I will say this. My Pastor is still preaching from Ephesians so now the study is just so vivid to me right now. Also, I saw where I had Ephesians 3:14-20 underlined in red in my New Living Translation. Kim, that was another one of those Christmas presents I talk about. I know that prayer blessed me so! I prayed it over my life. I’ll be back with my thoughts on the video.

• MrsTrip98 says:

I can hardly wait to read your thoughts on this one Tamara :)

I’m so glad you were already praying that prayer, Tamara! I’ve prayed it often through the years for my husband, children, and other family and friends. It’s such a powerful prayer!

4. Deborah (Debbie) says:

O.K. First, sorry this has taken so long, but I’v got to tell you that this weeks study and what I was impressed on me has been with me all week. I’ve tried to express it to a couple of people and it so loses something in the translation. I am still trying to process how to adequately or at least clearly explain what it seemed God was impressing on me…so I’m going to give it a try but I’m warning you, it’s gonna be missing something in the translation. Sometimes the “knowing” and the “impression” is hard to put in words, but cause its in my head and its a WORD for RIGHT NOW for me I’m watching it point me back to God and His purposes and person time and time again, and I’m HEARING it constantly — God is reminding me to rest on it!

Well, it that same old verse that is oft quoted (and we sometimes miss the surrounding context as you point out and that was so good, by-the-way) but what struck me and has STUCK this week from “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory” (Ephesians 6:20-21) is that OUR GOD CAN DO MORE THAN I ASK OR IMAGINE…

(I think that Paul is saying that as the Power of the Holy Spirit works in and through us Our God can get things done we can’t begin to ask to get done or imagine can be done — and if we are thinking we can’t do something He desires for us to do, we can THROUGH HIS POWER working in us — not our own…it’s all about Him, it’s all Him, trust Him. And your bang on point, Kim, that that working will always be consistent with His plan, His call, His desire and will — NOT OUR OWN is soooo good —HE, HIM, HIS!!!!)

BUT

And I want to be clear here, that I am taking this a bit out of context, and it maybe a little odd that I’m saying I “hear” this but I don’t think it’s inconsistent with scripture and given how God has been using this “thought” over the last little while, I think I’m ok in this… (can you hear that I want to be very careful, here because I must handle the Word of God according to, well, the Word of God and truth and I don’t want to take what it says and twist it to say something else, or encourage others to “hear” what God isn’t saying and excuse it….)

It was as though I was being encouraged to know that when I pray and I don’t see my prayers answered as “I” think they should be or “consistent” with the plain meaning of my prayer…

Or when I am in situations or circumstances in which I cannot begin to imagine how God could EVER change it; or how He could EVER be glorified in it or through it; or when I think that reality just isn’t lining up for something to happen or change and “this that or the other thing” needs to take place in order for it to be…I CANNOT BEGIN TO IMAGINE what God is at work doing or what He can do regardless of what I think or see…AND it just may be that while God is hearing and answering my prayer, my prayer may be so much smaller than what He is up to….

AND…from there, I got thinking about the fact that there is “the heavenlies” in which all manner of things are happening and being observed that I am not privy to…there God is working and being glorified in ways that would blow my mind AND that Great God is privy to information and workings I am not AND He knows the WHOLE story, beginning, middle end and the REAL facts AND….(you get that there have been a lot of ANDS going on here) AND so He is at work with all of that as His reality. SO rest girl!!!! Celebrate…Rejoice in the ONE WHO HAS ALL POWER AND AUTHORITY and who is at work in you and your life and circumstances (and those you love, too!!!)….

I think that maybe I went on a bit of a side trip here…but it was an exciting one…AND (again) NOW…after going back and reading the yet again…God has me on a thrill ride considering what it “really” means in this context….oh, boy — perhaps I’ll be back to comment later — but I’m going to let God do His work applying it to my life over the next few days…

I’m having a blast and God has been so God in His mercy and grace using this over the last while. I’m so grateful.

Bless you!!!! Love you!!!!!

• MrsTrip98 says:

Yes, Debbie!

God does indeed know the beginning, middle, end and all things between of each of our stories. I am convinced that our finite minds cannot believe or imagine the work that goes into our preservation and protection. The fact that he made the “mystery” of our inheritance with the Jews known to those in heavenly places suggests to me that God wanted everyone, everything, everywhere to know the abundance of blessings that we have in Christ.

That is why when I don’t know what will happen, what to pray for, or when I think my prayer is insufficient, I rest in the fact that the Holy Spirit is there interceding on my behalf (Romans 8:26) and that the abundance of blessings will continue to flow through Christ Jesus.

Again blessed by your points, dear sister :)

Debbie, I was nodding before I even got to the “translation” because I’ve so been there…and am there NOW…where something is being impressed on my heart and I’m really trying to *get* it myself, which means explaining to someone else will be tough. I pray a lot of “Lord, help me process this” prayers…”help me to fully understand what You’re saying.” And in the midst, it’s always exciting when God is clearly speaking and it’s a RIGHT NOW WORD…I love it!

And I so understand your heart in saying that you want to be careful with the Word of God (I already know that about you, btw :))…and I feel you because I have that same constraint (in a good way) as I do these lessons. There’s so much out there with a *rah rah* God-can-do-anything-believe-Him-for-everything-no-matter-how-you’re-living bent, that I know I lean heavily toward reminders of what *we’re* called to do.

But But But

I’m TOTALLY nodding and TOTALLY with you that we do also need to be reminded of and stirred up by the truth that OUR GOD CAN DO MORE THAN I ASK OR IMAGINE! We need to STAND on that! I too am being reminded of this very thing right now. In the midst of difficulty…yep, this–>”when I think that reality just isn’t lining up for something to happen or change and ‘this that or the other thing’ needs to take place in order for it to be”…that’s exactly when we need to say, wait a minute! (As we speak to our souls…:)) Our God can do more than we ask or imagine! In just the past couple of weeks, I’ve actually gotten excited about a particular situation that looked bleak (and still does, if I were walking by sight). But because I know that *i* can’t do anything in myself to change it, and that it HAS to be God, I got excited because I know what He’s able to do. AND I know that whatever I know about what He’s able to do….He can do way beyond THAT…to the things I can’t imagine! Why not dare believe Him?!

And about those “heavenlies”…”there God is working and being glorified in ways that would blow my mind AND that Great God is privy to information and workings I am not AND He knows the WHOLE story, beginning, middle end and the REAL facts”….yes, yes, yes! I LOVE IT! Rest, indeed. Celebrate, indeed. You’ve got me excited over here. And as usual, this is a perfect tandem to the lesson. Perfect. How interesting that we appear to be in somewhat the same place right now…dealing with things that are way too big for us to handle…depending on a God who is BIGGER.

I’m on a thrill ride with you, sister! Let’s BELIEVE.

Love you too!

5. Deborah (Debbie) says:

Oh shoot…I forgot to proof read first before hitting send…yikes…please remember I am sleep deprived…. :)

6. MrsTrip98 says:

My prayer before I began watching the video was that God would meet me and help me see the connection between the transformation study and Kim’s teaching. How many of you know that God answers prayers :)

This week’s transformation focus is on physical health. When I saw it in the outline of the study, I thought, “Yes!! I can finally find a way to get rid of his visceral fat around my midsection. Bat wings on both arms…be GONE!!!”

Those thoughts so perfectly fit into one of Kim’s points about what is most important. As Kim put it, “Our soul and spirit are the essence of who we are. [Although] our outward appearance is wasting away, it commands all of the attention.” That was exactly what I was doing. Looking at the outward appearance and taking a vain approach to a transformation that was suppose to take place from the inside out.

Clearly, I needed the right perspective. I was surprised when our pastor preached from Psalms 23 on the topic of rest, relaxation, and how worship is a stress buster. Either our pastor or Rick Warren said it best: “Physical health is not only threatened by what you eat, but also by what eats you.” I needed to see that my physical health is deeply rooted in my spiritual health.

Watch as God meets me and connects the two studies.

Then Kim said, “Think of what would happen if we focused our time on building up the inner.” I can tell you that focusing on God and reaping the blessing of “peace that surpasses all understanding” has alleviated so much of my stress and renewed my energy so that I can better manage my energy to be about my Father’s business.

After all, it is about being a a good steward of God’s grace and worshiping God by serving others, right? (Ephesians 3:2)

Thank Kim for that ending powerful prayer and all the goodness of your teaching. I am so blessed by the exceeding abundance of the Word’s riches that you share.

May I just say right on connection, Kim? Air five!!!!

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Oh, my. This woman needs those reminders about the inner and outer woman (although my hairdresser thought my hair was getting darker (I’ve always had black black hair…that is until it started turning white — grin) and I’m ok with that :) ). Its amazing, though, how beautiful God’s Spirit shining through can make a woman…I’ve known some who at first glance are not what one might call beautiful and then the beauty of God shines through and you gotta think “I want to look like her!” and its not because she’s a size two and with no wrinkles. There is something so aesthetically pleasing about looking at one who delights in God.

Sis, I love how God is intermingling these two studies for you! And I love what God is showing you about physical health and spiritual health. First, let me say I’m nodding about wanting to do something about the midsection…lol And yet, as much as we want to keep our bodies fit and healthy, I’ll gladly exhale in knowing that it’s not *everything.* I’ve exercised for years on the treadmill and watch what I eat, but I’ve noticed that as I age, it gets harder and harder to keep things in check. ;) I think I’ll choose to rejoice in the knowledge that my inner being is more important. :) I love this quote: ““Physical health is not only threatened by what you eat, but also by what eats you.” It reminds me of the proverb that says a merry heart does good like medicine. How amazing that God made us in such a way that when we’re joyful and at peace, our physical bodies are helped! Not only that, but as you said, we have more energy. “…so that I can better manage my energy to be about my Father’s business”…well said…and AMEN!

I have to say again that I’m excited for this transformation journey you’re on, mind, body, and soul. May the Lord to an exceeding abundant work in you, my sis! AIR FIVE!!!

7. Deon A says:

Morning Kim and fellow blog sisters

It was a crazy week into weekend for me last week and the time change on Sunday certainly didn’t help losing that hour of sleep. As a result, I was not able to post last week but watched the video and read the comments.

Im always amazed at how God works and specifically how he works in my life. Before we started this study I mentioned that Ephesians 3:20 is the scripture that I am standing on this year. Listening to this week study, and reading Rhonda’s comments I felt like just copying and pasting in agreement to what she said, especially the latter part about expecting but not willing to let God work.

I like to be in control, which means I don’t like to not know where I’m going or how things will pen out in the future. Something I’m sure developed over the years of feeling like I have to figure things out for myself. In addition, I have a stubborn streak so there has been a constant struggle with me and God. But let me tell you, God has a way of teaching us to TRUST HIM and I have been learning over these past 5 years especially to rely on him and trust that he knows what’s best for me and will only lead me in right paths. Not only to trust HIM but to submit to HIS will and purpose for my life so that Ephesians 2:20-21 can be made manifest. All this can only be done when I choose to let Christ works in me.

Ephesians 3:20(MSG)
    God can do anything, you know––far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

I was reminded of Acts 10:13-48 where right after Jesus’ ascension peter was directed to go to Cornelius where God would begin to teach us that indeed as Paul says in Christ we can now share in the same promise Ephesians 3:6(MSG)
    The mystery is that people who have never heard of God and those who have heard of him all their lives (what I’ve been calling outsiders and insiders) stand on the same ground before God. They get the same offer, same help, same promises in Christ Jesus. The Message is accessible and welcoming to everyone, across the board.”

I have been gleaning so much insight and wisdom from this study that is impacting me greater than I could have imagine and we are only in chapter 3. Can I just pause to say what a God! And bask in his faithfulness towards us.
    I love how Kim took the time to really elaborate on what it means to be a good steward of the gifts that God has entrusted to us, and from previous studies we learned that there are many. This has been one of my prayers that God would help me to be good steward of resources, talents and gifts he’s given me. Now I can pray with a deeper understanding of what he expects through this study and the ones to come.

Again, Kim thank you for allowing God to use you each week to bring forth his word. My fellow blog sisters I am so blessed to be among you as we continue to open our hearts for Christ to work through us.

Love and blessings
    Deon

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Deon, yeah, this is what I got thinking about too…God wants to work in and through us but it is HIS work in HIS way, not mine in mine. That verse dosen’t seem to be about us doing something grand that gets us noticed or sees our “big dreams” fulfilled — but rather HIS! It seems to me that what HE wants and how HE wants to accomplish that is more wonderful than what we could dream up — and we need to KNOW that!

Even when it comes to transforming me and to the renewing of my mind He decides the priorities and the hows…sometimes when I’m in the middle of something I have no idea what is really going on and then it’s like “Oh my goodness, I didn’t see that one coming” and I’m in the process of being different because of His work (I could have tried a bazillion strategies and programs and not a one of them would have been effective to produce true God working transformation.

Praying you continue to see God working together His truths in your two studies.

Okay, kindred sister, THIS—->”That verse doesn’t seem to be about us doing something grand that gets us noticed or sees our ‘big dreams’ fulfilled…” I know this is an unpopular statement, but I think we (and by “we,” I mean, Christian culture) focus way too much on our “dreams” and wanting God to accomplish our “dreams.” What would happen if we all died to our dreams and let God place within us HIS desires for us? And even if the dreams we have are God-given, what if we let God shape those dreams as He sees fit? I think there would actually be less stress and less frustration…and more peace and joy.

Whew….don’t get me started…lol

• Deborah (Debbie) says:

Kim, what you said! It’s true. It’s not the popular teaching of the day but its absolutely what we need to be hearing and embracing ” …less stress and less frustration…and more peace and joy” AMEN! God seems to keep impressing on me (’cause I need to keep “learning” this), this life IS HIM (and all HE desires). Period. And THAT is a very good thing!

• Deon A says:

Amen Debbie!
        Its all about Jesus!

Wow, Deon, yes…I remember you mentioned that Ephesians 3:20 is what you’re standing on this year. So interesting that God would lead you to this study as part of your journey. I know a little bit about that desire to be in control. ;) It was funny because the Lord showed me who was in control even before I was saved. I thought I’d spend my life in the DC area (where I grew up). But after attending college and law school there, I couldn’t find a job. He shut every door, and the only door that opened was in Madison, Wisconsin. I moved there with Bill, and although it was great career wise, I hated it. Yet, that’s where God drew me to Himself and saved me. Then a few years later, He moved me to leave the career that gave me control (because, if I don’t have my OWN money, then what am I supposed to do??). So yes indeed–>”God has a way of teaching us to TRUST HIM…” And it’s such a blessing that when we trust and submit, we can watch for Eph. 3:20-21 to be made manifest.

I’m pausing with you to say, “what a God!” I’ve been impacted myself through this study and I praise Him for His faithfulness. He knows where each of us is and what each of us needs, and He meets us right where we are. I’m so thankful! May His Word dwell richly in us and accomplish its work in and through us!

Love and blessings to you too, sis!

• alli says:

Thank you for sharing your testimony it has blessed me so. I have seen God use you to minister to my life. Leaving school and being in MD struggling with racism and not wanted to do what God wants . I know God will work things outt the way He chooses

8. alli says: