We have checked our hearts, thrown off the weights and sin, forgotten what’s behind, reached forward—in faith, being strong and courageous, even counting it joy in trials—and we have focused on our mindset. Today, in this last week of In Hot Pursuit, we are taking the focus off of self and putting it on others.
We are not meant to run alone. We run this race interconnected with others.
As believers, we are part of a body—Jesus is the head, and we are the members.
“For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.” Romans 12:4-5
“. . .we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by that which every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.” Ephesians 4:15-16
Stop and think. Do you connect regularly with others in the body of Christ? Or do you tend to run in isolation?
I love that God sees us as “fitted parts” that are built up in love when each of us is properly working. As we run our race well, it benefits others. But we also have specific obligations toward one another. And they are many:
- “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.” Romans 12:10
- “Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another . . .” Romans 15:5
- So then let’s pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.” Romans 14:19
- “ . . . that there should be no division in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another.” 1 Corinthians 12:25
- “. . .through love serve one another.” Galatians 5:13
- “Bear one another’s burdens . . .” Galatians 6:2
- “And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.” Ephesians 4:32
- “Therefore encourage one another, and build up one another . . .” 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- “And let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds . . .” Hebrews 10:24
- “Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed.” James 5:16
- “Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8
- “Be hospitable to one another without complaint.” 1 Peter 4:9
- “As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” 1 Peter 4:10.
It’s striking how often God speaks in His word about what we ought to do for “one another.” We are essential to each other in this race. But it’s even more than that.
Not only do we help others as they run; we are to prefer others. Selfishness and pride have no place in this race.
“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself . . .” Philippians 2:3
Read additional “one another” verses:
1 Corinthians 12:20-27
1 Thessalonians 3:12
1 Thessalonians 4:9
1 John 3:11
1 John 4:7
Do you allow others to help you as you run your race? Do you share your burdens so others can help you bear them? On the flip side, do you look for opportunities to help others run their race?