Blog, coloring our kids

Training our Kids for Battle

April 19, 2011

Monday’s post talked about God as Deliverer, and almost every comment touched on the mental assaults of the enemy.  The discussion proved timely.  Today I was dealing with yet another mental assault by the enemy—this time upon one of my children.  It’s one thing when the enemy shoots his fiery darts at us, trying to get us to believe his lies.  It reaches a whole ‘nother level when he comes after our kids.

God was totally with me.  I didn’t become anxious—probably because of the constant uplift and sharpening you all bring on this blog.  I saw the attack for what it was, and every ounce of Momma Bear came out of me.

I sat this child down, and we had a refresher course on the nature and tactics of the enemy, and the importance of knowing truth and recognizing a lie.  We talked about the need to cast down lies immediately—not “own” them—and the need to go to God immediately for help.  I re-emphasized the importance of building and maintaining a close personal walk with the Lord.  Though the enemy wages battle against us, I said, “greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.”  And as we prayed, you know I called upon God as Protector and Deliverer.

The thing is…it’s not easy for adults to conquer the battles waged by the enemy in the mind.  How can we expect our kids to learn and implement this important spiritual discipline?  It doesn’t seem fair that they should have to deal with spiritual attacks.  But the enemy doesn’t play fair.  So learn it, they must.

Might seem weird, but I’m encouraged.  I was almost thirty before I knew anything of spiritual things, how the enemy operates, and how the power of God conquers all.  Our kids are learning these lessons early, and I can only pray that God will use the struggles to develop them into mature Christians.  I pray that He’s sharpening them right now to be arrows loosed into a culture that needs the grace of Christ and the light of truth.  I’m praying He’ll be faithful in the midst, standing guard over their hearts and minds and delivering them from the schemes of the evil one.

And I’m praying that they will live a life of worship unto Him, the best posture for battle.

Have you spied an enemy attack lately on your child?  How did you respond?  How are you training them?

• Reply Debbie April 20, 2011 at 5:36 am

Oh, Kim. Have I spied an enemy attack on my child lately? As Joan Rivers says “Can we talk?!” All I can say here is “that would be an understatement”. We have gone through something in the last two years that was totally unexected and I would have bet you would never happen. Ha! Now, let me say that when the enemy attacks we often give him plenty of amunition and cooperation. The enemy is so very good at using whatever small “foothold” we give and our minds often do not recognize or admit where we are allowing the “vain imaginings”, the strongholds or the “high things” to exist. Recognizing the lies required being into the wonderful word of God and then CHOOSING to stand by faith on those truths no matter how big the waves or strong the winds ( I am mixing metephores all over the place here, I think). And by-the-way, God gives us the grace and strength to stand. Now, for this Mama, its been a nightmare at times but God has been choosing to strengthen me in my faith, to learn that everything I “preach” about Him, His character, His attributes, His love, sovereignty, purposes and so on –(Oh, how I LOVE to talk about God. Sigh) is true and to stand on that EVEN THOUGH… We are still praying for a miracle here and I am fully expecting one because I know that God desires my child to live in abundance and fruitfulness to bring glory and honor to Him…and we are seeing Him work…but He is God and He gets to decide what He is going to do and How. But let me say — Satan is a defeated foe and God is faithful to complete what He has started transforming lives — mine, my daughter’s, the rest of the famlily and all those whose lives are touched by ours.

I pray that our children will learn much earlier and quicker than we did, how to recognize the lie, turn quickly to truth and stand on it in the power of the one who has all power and authority over EVERYTHING and who lives within us.
    Debbie

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 20, 2011 at 8:13 am

Debbie, my heart goes out to you and your family just reading that, because I know it must be a painful situation. Even as we stand on truth, we are often standing in pain. But you are so right…we have to CHOOSE to stand by faith on truth no matter how strong and unexpected the winds. The only way I know to do that is to stay clinging to God constantly. PRAISE GOD that the enemy is defeated. PRAISE GOD that He is ALL powerful. PRAISE GOD that He is able to work all things together for good. I’m so thankful that we don’t have to faint in the day of adversity (much as we might be tempted to, especially when our kids are the ones “going through”). Debbie, I KNOW your prayers “availeth much” in your family. They are not in vain. You inspire me greatly. Thank you for living passionately for Him.

• Reply Sandra Heska King April 20, 2011 at 8:31 am

God must have great things in store for our oldest. We have been doing battle for years. So many sleepless nights. Still. Even though she is an adult.

But sometimes after we’ve done all we can, the only thing left is to stand firm and trust that His Word won’t come back void.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 20, 2011 at 8:42 am

Sandy, my heart goes out to you as well as I read that. Both you and Debbie have adult children, and you’re dealing with these battles. I know there is much in the few lines you wrote. Your faith is evident, though I’m sure it’s been built upon heartache. For those of us whose kids are still young, we have great hope and faith for what God will do…you and Debbie are testaments to the fact that sometimes the waiting must endure, and the faith must endure. What I also see in both of you is the strength of God. You DO stand firm. You have not given up. You’re still trusting in the Lord. THANK YOU for providing that example to us moms of younger children. I’ll be lifting up all of our “kids” today.

• Reply Tamarria April 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

Okay, this is too much, lol. Why is it, that whenever I am dealing with something, you are writing about it??? Again I ask you…are you in my prayers??? GOD is amazing. Early this week I thought to write a post on teaching your children the truth because the world is teaching them lies. My daughter happen to mention to me, on Monday, that humans came from monkeys!!! Imagine my horror!!!! With all the talk and teaching that goes on about GOD in this house???? Really???? I couldn’t believe it! It woke me up! Now, we are starting a family bible study once a week. I need my children to know the truth because if they don’t they are going to fall for all sorts of lies. The bible tells us to train our children in the way that they should go and they shall not depart from it. I’m not raising my children to be of the world…I’m raising HIS children. GOD bless all those little ones that belong to HIM! Thanks for the post!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

LOL…isn’t it funny how God works? He truly is amazing! So awesome that you’ve started a Bible study with your kids! For me, that’s been the best part of homeschooling, to be able to dig into the word with my kids. This year, my son is in school so the schedule has shifted. I’m seeing that as they grow and move through different seasons, I’m teaching those same truths at another level. They’re able to apply them now. It is SO my heart’s desire for my kids to walk in truth. I know it’s yours too. :) God bless you as you raise your kids in HIM.

• Reply Candace April 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

Two things quickly came to mind Kim: 1) Hv them make a promise to themselves to talk to God ESPECIALLY when they feel guilty not making good decisions; u know that the natural inclination is to avoid God at a time when they need Him most, leaving them vulnerable to the enemy’s influence. 2) Give them a thorough understanding of the overwhelming wealth of historical evidence proving even by legal standards that Jesus’ resurrection was a fact because kids are vulnerable to “all ways lead to God…there’s mistakes in the Bible…why is my faith better than Jimmy’s..” etc.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

So true, Candace…when my husband came home, we sat down again and emphasized the importance of not isolating yourself, but being quick to go to God and seek accountability from others in the body. We made clear that we are here for that accountability. Thankfully, we’ve had lots of conversation/teaching about Jesus and the Gospel, and they believe He’s the only way…praise God. But shoring up their faith is ALWAYS advisable. Thanks for your wisdom, my friend. :)

• Reply Tamarria April 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Oh Candace, #1 is a great idea that I will began to implement for myself! Even when I make mistakes it’s hard to go to GOD because I feel so unworthy. This definitely opens the door for vulnerability. Love it! Thanks for the advice!