Blog

About Kim

February 8, 2009
About-Kim-tile-650x440

Tate 4-6-15-12Hey there . . . You got a minute? I’d love to share beyond the tightly written bio with the professional bullet points. I’d rather be more personal . . . which is why I took the picture above.

This is my view every day. Not the flowers—I only buy those on occasion. But the Bible and laptop? That’s me. Every day. You could say they’re my passion.

I love the Word of God. I became a believer at 27, over twenty years ago, and I knew next to nothing about the Bible. But over the past fifteen years, in particular, I’ve studied daily with my colored pencils . . . and coffee. Bible goes well with coffee.

I know firsthand the power of the Word to renew and transform, to heal and restore, to convict and strengthen. It does all those things and more in me. Continually. And also in me is this irresistible urge to share the wonder of this amazing truth with others.

Which is where my laptop comes in.

I can’t remember a time I didn’t write, from notebooks full of poetry and song lyrics as a schoolgirl to briefs to the court as a litigating attorney. But I couldn’t have imagined God calling me to write for Him.

I was on maternity leave with my firstborn, praying about the type of home-based business I could start, because I knew the Lord was tugging on my heart to be home with him. I took a trip to Barnes & Noble, got a book on home-based businesses, and started praying about what product I could bring to the marketplace. Then one day in the middle of church, the Lord spoke clearly to my heart—and completely redirected me. He wasn’t calling me to make widgets. People needed salvation, and He wanted me to write about my spiritual journey.

A book? I didn’t know anything about writing books, and this was before such newfangled things as blogs and Google searches. I started praying again, drove back to Barnes & Noble, and picked up, “How to Write a Book Proposal.”   Wrote my proposal and mailed out a few query letters, prepared to endure mass rejection for months.   But within a week, I had a top agent, and within a month, a publishing contract. In His graciousness, the Lord let me know in a powerful way that He was in this. More Christian Than African-American was published in 1999, and a couple months later, I left my career as an attorney to be home with my son and baby girl.

And to write. Trust me, I was excited about having more hours to write.

God has a sense of humor.

He redirected me once again. Writing got moved to the back burner as the Lord let me know this was a season to simply be home with my little ones. But during naptimes, I found my passion—studying the Bible inductively. My life was being transformed daily, and I had this ever-growing desire for three things—to know God more deeply, to live full-on for Him, and to be used by Him to ignite a passion in others for His Word.

Meanwhile, my agent wanted me to consider writing fiction. She was starting a new publishing company—Walk Worthy Press—and based on my memoir, thought I should give it a try.

“Fiction?” I said. “Nah, I can’t see it.”

I just knew . . . if I wrote another book, it would be nonfiction. Something to help women grow spiritually. Maybe one day a Bible study. Definitely not fiction.

A couple years later, the Lord put a woman on my heart. I could see her clearly, her family, her issues, her need to be changed by the truth of the Word. And I couldn’t shake her.

“Fiction, Lord? Are you serious? But I don’t know how to write fiction.”

The faith-walk started again. Writing started again, along with those writing prayers.

And I got my first laptop.

That woman with the issues became Treva in Heavenly Places, my first novel . . . published by Walk Worthy Press in 2008. And as God would have it, there was a cast of women in a bible study in the novel, being changed by the book of Ephesians.

From the time I began writing Heavenly Places in 2004 until now, my laptop has stood open with some work in progress on the screen—even as I’ve homeschooled during that same time.

Following the Lord has led to paths I couldn’t have foreseen. I went on to write several novels for Thomas Nelson, which led to speaking with Women of Faith in 2010 and 2011. I’ve been able to share my journey on The 700 Club, The Harvest Show, Janet Parshall’s America, The Chris Fabry Show, and others. And recently, I led women’s ministry at my local church for close to two years, teaching original bible studies weekly.

At present—so many years later—I’m finally working on that nonfiction book. At my laptop. With my Bible open.

I have had seasons of trial, disappointment, and heartache, but by God’s grace, my desire for those three things remains—to know Him more deeply, to live full-on for Him, and to be used by Him to ignite a passion in others for His Word.

What else about me? I was born and raised in the D.C. metropolitan area, went kicking and screaming to Madison, Wisconsin, and was blind-sided there by the love of my Savior, Jesus Christ, who saved me and changed me forever.

My husband Bill and I have been married almost twenty-three years, and those little ones are now older teens, my firstborn in his first year of college. St. Louis has been home for more than a decade.

Oh, and another long-held desire of the heart . . . I am pursuing a Master’s in Theological Studies at Covenant Seminary in St. Louis.

If you’ve stuck with this till the end, thank you! I hope you stick around even longer here on the blog. We’ve covered a lot of ground over the years. Shared a lot of stories. Encouraged, prayed, cried, and rejoiced . . . all in an effort to color our lives in Christ—to fix our eyes on Him and glorify Him no matter where we are or what we do. You’ll see a button to the right of the page where you can subscribe and join us. I’m hoping you do!

• Reply Renee February 8, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Love the new look! I’m curious now about the nonfiction book you are writing. Care to share more.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 9, 2016 at 7:54 am

Thanks, Renee! I am so looking forward to sharing more about this book! I’m still writing (it’s due in April), and then won’t release until 2017. So I’m going to wait a little before sharing details. But coming soon! :)

• Reply Deborah (Debbie) February 9, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I just read this “about” page and I LOVE IT! In fact it brought a tear or two to my eye. Made me want to celebrate all that God has done, is doing and will do in your life for His Name Sake and for your good. I just want to give you a great big hug! I think the world of you!!!! God bless you GOOD and may His Name be glorified marvelously through you and your life.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate February 9, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Oh, I’m so thankful you love it, Debbie! I was hoping it wasn’t too long. ;-) But reflecting on all of that truly moved me to praise the Lord as well! Isn’t it something when we look back at all He has done in our lives? Things that made no sense a decade ago have (at least a little) clarity now. I’m receiving that cyber hug! You know I think the world of you too, my sister. XoXo

• Reply Araceli Delgado April 14, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I have been praying for a while how to be able to memorize Scripture so I came across your video yesterday and really impacted my heart. I said Lord: Make me like her, then this morning I visited your site and as I am reading I know the Lord directed me to you, your bio spoke to my heart. I thank you for sharing and I would like to make your goal of serving the Lord my goal.Thank you again, you are such a blessing and I look forward to getting your books. For now, studying the book of Ephesians.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate April 15, 2016 at 9:11 am

Araceli, I’m so thankful the video on memorizing Scripture was helpful to you. I know as this is your heart’s desire, the Lord will lead you step by step in what and how much to memorize. Take it slow and cherish the journey itself. It’s so rich! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet words of encouragement. Enjoy the book of Ephesians….that’s so rich too! :-)

• Reply Nikki June 27, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Just wanted to say “Hello!” from southeast Missouri – I found your blog through your YouTube videos…which I *may* have been binge-watching over the weekend :) lol
    So much beautiful, rich and inspiring information about Jesus and Bible Study and Godly-living…thank you for sharing this with all of us – you are a blessing!

• Reply Kim Cash Tate July 8, 2016 at 9:33 am

Hello Nikki!! :) Aww, thank you so much for watching the videos and for stopping by! I’m so glad to “meet” you! And thank you for your sweet words of encouragement. It truly means so much. You have blessed me as well! I look forward to connecting more. xo

• Reply Christy July 10, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I just read your piece on Desiring God, “Let the Bible Tell you How to be a Woman”. Thank you for pointing to Scripture and encouraging humility. We women desperately need this. God bless you in all of your pursuits. :)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate July 12, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Christy, I’m so thankful that you would stop by with such sweet words of encouragement. God bless you as well!

• Reply Tracy Carter July 21, 2016 at 6:36 am

Good Morning Kim,
    This is the first time I have ever left a comment on line. I found you about a month ago on YouTube through a link on the Our Daily Bread Site. Our Heavenly Father gives us just what we need, when we need it. Your testimony has been medicine for my soul my spiritual sister. From the moment I saw you and heard you I felt a connection. To see that you live in Saint Louis, the city I was raised in is fascinating. I don’t quite remember anyone touching my heart the way your words on God’s Word and His promises have touched me. I’m in a season of uncertainty, debt and joblessness. But God is able to do abundantly more than I can imagine. May God’s blessings be with you always. Hallelujah to His precious name. At the name Jesus, every knew shall bow and every tongue confess He is Lord. The more I talk about Him the better I feel. Have a blessed day filled with laughter and love. Try to stay cool in the brutal heat wave affecting the region :)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate September 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Tracy, I have been deep into two writing projects this summer and am so sorry that I missed your comment. And wow, your first time leaving a comment online…. I don’t even words for how God amazes me. To find me online and feel that my words are connecting…..only Him! I am so grateful. And your faith speaks volumes as you are in a challenging season, yet also giving God praise and believing His word. That’s so awesome. You are encouraging your own soul, which calls to mind some of my favorite Psalms. Praise God! I’m so thankful you stopped by and hope to connect more. Many blessings, my dear sister.

• Reply Alyssa August 20, 2016 at 2:09 am

Good morning, Kim. I have just (well about 3 hours ago) seen a video of you on youtube for the first time. I had never heard of you before. Your videos are very enlightening, inspiring, eye opening, and informative. After watching the videos, I had to do some soul searching. I have recently give my life to God, and I have gotten a little frustrated because I want to learn more about the Word of God and more than knowing the Word, I want to know Him not know of Him.
    I am new to marking in my Bible. I have been online and on pinterest getting ideas for charts or other things that my help in that area. Thank you so very much for taking the time to make the videos. I know they have helped me, and I am sure they have helped many other women.
    I can not wait to learn more about the Word. It is just so overwhelming, because it does not seem like I will ever learn it the way that I want to. Yet, I have to remember I am new to it, so I know that it will take time. If you have any advice on where to get started it will be greatly appreciated. I hope that you continue with your videos, and I hope you are abundantly blessed more than you can possibly contain.

• Reply Kim Cash Tate September 8, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Hi Alyssa! First, I’m rejoicing with you in giving your life to the Lord recently. That’s such a praise! And I’m also praising God for your hunger to know Him. The fact that you’re frustrated about wanting to know more about the Word is awesome! :) Truly. It shows that the Spirit of God is alive in you and stirring up that passion. It can indeed seem overwhelming because the Bible is a big book, and when you’re hungry, you want to read it all, right now. :) But yes, remember that this is all new and that every part of this new journey is precious and amazing. One step at a time…. Take your time and ENJOY getting to know the Lord as He reveals Himself to you verse by verse, chapter by chapter, book by book. Linger where He moves you to linger. In terms of where to get started, if you’re asking which book, hmm…. Since it’s your goal to get through the entire Bible, I’d probably start with the beginning, in Genesis. Some people read through the Bible in a year, and so they read a little OT, a little NT, etc. each day. But if you’re studying inductively (marking and such), you won’t be flying through like that. Hope to see you here again….I’d love updates on your journey. :) Wishing you many blessings, my sister!

• Reply Wendy Scott-Penson October 28, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Kim,
    You are challenging me! Ahhh! It’s exciting and frustrating and scary all at once. A friend of mine encouraged me to check you out because of our work with the Bible translation movement: https://www.wycliffe.org/partner/Pensons
    I watched your video with tips for memorizing Scripture. I did not expect to hear God challenging me directly through you, but that is exactly what happened. I have already been memorizing passages of Scripture. I even memorized Psalm 91, which is an awesome chapter of the Bible, but a whole book of the Bible??? Now I know I have to do it. Why, because I’ve been talking to God about how to get closer to Him. I want Enoch’s story, from Genesis 5, to be my story. He spent his life walking in close fellowship with God. Then one day he disappeared because God took him. Now, through you, God has given me a way to take a next step to get closer to Him. And I have to do it. I’m kind of intimidated, but I know it’s what I have to do. Thank you for doing what you’re called to do. You have really inspired me.
    By the way, how did you get your hair to do what it’s doing?

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 18, 2017 at 9:23 am

Wendy, I love this–> “I want Enoch’s story…to be my story.” Amen! I do find scripture memorization to be a wonderful way to walk closely with God. It’s not just rote memorization; it’s writing eternal truths onto your heart that are God-breathed. So, so rich! I pray the Lord’s richest blessings upon you on this journey. (And I don’t know how I missed replying to this for so long….please forgive me!)

Oh, my hair….I twist it while it’s damp, using a mix of products. This is how it looks when I untwist it. :)

• Reply Christina Vickers January 8, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I’m here after reading your devotion at She Reads Truth, because I’m originally from a town just south of St. Louis, but now live in South Carolina. I think I need to find your fiction book! It sounds great! Looking forward to exploring your site a bit more…. when homeschooling isn’t monopolizing my time. ;)

• Reply Kim Cash Tate January 18, 2017 at 9:25 am

Hi Christina! So good to meet you. :) I know how it is with homeschooling. My “kids” are 20 and 18 now, but for many years, homeschooling was the focus of my day. Would love to hear your thoughts if you check out my novels. :) Blessings to you and thanks for stopping by!